Wrinkles around mouth and lips. Can you do dermabrasion if skin is thin?

Thank you for your question. Dermabrasion would not be the best option for your mouth and lips. You may be a candidate for lip augmentation procedures, which can address wrinkled lips due to aging or smoking. I suggest you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thin Skin and Dermabrasion

Typically no, it is better for thicker skin. Dermabrasion helps with acne scarring and can also soften lip lines with multiple treatments. Talk with your medical aesthetician before to see if your skin would benefit from dermabrasion treatment.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkles Around Lips

I wouldn't recommend dermabrasion for wrinkles around the lips. Laser resurfacing is a much better choice. This should be done with a fractionated laser like the CO2 or erbium-yag. The CO2 procedure is quicker than that of the erbium-yag because of the different properties of the lasers. Procedures like this are very technique sensitive. This means that in unexperienced hands, you could end up with an undesirable result. I would strongly recommend choosing someone with ample experience. The advantage of this over fillers and Botox is that the result is essentially permanent. The downside of this is that, if you don't like the result, your stuck with it. However, resurfacing could be done in stages if you were concerned about a bad result.     jlr

John Louis Ratz, MD
Clermont Dermatologist

If skin is "thin" as you state than I would NOT offer dermabrasion surgery. Try fillers, like restylane Silk or Belotero-Balance....