I am 73 and in good health. I recently had extraction of upper left #15 due to fracture.

i am considering implant but the cost may be prohibitive. what are the consequences at my age of doing nothing?

Age restrictions and dental implants

Age aside, it really comes down to comfort, aesthetics, and your ability to properly chew food.
If you don't feel the need to replace the tooth that was extracted, then there is really no need to consider an implant. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that if there is a tooth directly below it, then it may start over erupting and may eventually need to be extracted.

I hope you found this information to be helpful,
Dr. Champagne

Tooth Loss

Doing nothing may cause difficulty eating, every tooth lost decreases eating ability by 10%. It's also a chance of increased bone loss when teeth are removed or loss.  If you find that there is discomfort in chewing or your gum around area #15 grows sensitive, it may be a good idea to follow up with your dentist. 

Rajan Sharma, DDS
Chicago Dentist

Implant options

Hi:

There are two main concerns with not doing anything in your case:

1.  The lower tooth will continue to extrude due to lack of an opposing tooth.  This may take a while to happen and its not immediate.

2.  Not chewing on the left side due to the missing tooth.  If the chewing pattern is altered due to the missing tooth, then there will be more wear and tear on the opposite side.  If you are able to chew on both sides despite the missing tooth then there is no significant draw back to not replacing the tooth.

Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Implant?

At this point the consequences of doing nothing will be minimal. You may miss having a tooth in that space but it shouldn't cause problems. 

Doing nothing is an option

Doing nothing is an option, provided you are not having any problem chewing your food. The major problem may be that the lower tooth starts to erupt into the space of the upper tooth. We need three months for the area to heal, before an implant can be placed, during this time you can determine how much you miss the tooth and then decide.

Mark Sayeg DDS FAGD

Mark Sayeg, DDS
Atlanta Dentist