age 64 which is best for my lower face for tightening an wrinkles laser or lift? (photo)

my dr wants to do laser... but I had a full face laser already an saw no improvement , now he wants to do the lower face again. what do you guys think?

Tightening lower face after laser

Hi there, 

I would not expect a repeat laser procedure to give you the best improvement in your lower face. A well-done facelift would be expected to give the best improvement in my opinion and experience. For me, this means a deep plane (sub-SMAS) lift for best results. 

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Dr. Donath 

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightening of Lower Face, Lasers or Facelift?

So I will begin my answer by asking several questions. Did your doctor tell you that you could expect significant tightening with a full face laser treatment? Why do they now think that treating the lower face again the same way will make a big difference? Isn't one definition of insanity thinking that if something that didn't work the first time, repeating it will result in a different (better?) outcome? Is your doctor someone who is actually a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is truly qualified to perform facelift surgery? If they aren't, maybe that is why they can only offer to repeat your laser treatment.

In many ways I think the area of facial rejuvenation can be the most confusing for patients. In part it is because there are so many different treatment options being offered (Botox, fillers, lasers, radio frequency, ultrasound, fat transfer, mini face lift, full face lift, etc), and so many types of physicians doing them (Plastic surgeons, ENT/Facial plastic surgeons, Dermatologists, Oral surgeons, and even primary care doctors and nurse practitioners), that it can be completely overwhelming.

It is important to understand that lasers (or other skin surfaces treatments) can really only affect the quality of the skin surface and thus can only treat surface problems such as fine wrinkles, small blood vessels, and pigmentation (age spots). On the other hand, surgical procedures such as facelifts or fat grafting primarily produce changes in facial contour such as correcting jowls and lifting the tissues below the skin surface that have become sagged over time. Facelift and fat grafting procedures can also improve facial wrinkling and create a more youthful, uplifted look, but if not done properly can also create an unnatural or overly tight appearance. Also facelift type procedures typically do not provide much correction around the mouth and chin, and so some combination of botox, filler, laser, or fat grafting may be necessary to treat to treat the wrinkles, creases, and folds that are problematic in this area. 

Finally, there is no single, super duper, one size fits all, no pain, no surgery, no downtime,  facial procedure that magically results in significant facial rejuvenation in a single office visit. My best advice would be to thoroughly research your doctors credentials and experience, look at a number of before and after photos, ask lots of questions, make sure you are comfortable with the answers you are getting. It is not an easy or simple process, but it is easy to get led astray.

Facelift versus Laser for the Lower Face: Invasive or non-invasive with similar recovery.

Laser resurfacing does not take the place of a facelift. Laser resurfacing can improve skin texture, but in no way will tighten the neck and jawline. Laser resurfacing is not effective for the neck skin and can cause pigmentary issues as well. If a procedure doesn't give the result you are after, trying it again may not be the best plan. A lower facelift or full facelift including a High SMAS technique can help remove excess skin and fat, eliminate jowling and, reposition the cheek area. Ironically, the recovery from a lower face can rival that of aggressive resurfacing with more effective and dependable results than any non-invasive procedure including laser, radio frequency (RF), injectable (Kybella), and focused ultrasound (Ulthera).

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Facelift vs laser

A facelift reshapes the face, while a laser is better at resurfacing your skin and smoothing out your etched in wrinkles.  Which one to use depends on your goals and proper in person assessment.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tightening Lower Face

Based on your goals, you may to consider procedures such as a necklift or facelift. A facelift is designed to remove excess skin and reposition deeper tissues for a smoother, firmer contour.

I'd recommend booking a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what your options would be.

Take care.

Laser or lift

Lasers improve the surface texture of the skin, but will not lift the skin appreciably.  Lifts will move the saggy skin up and back, but will not improve the surface damage.  Many patients (and you might feel the same) will ask for both.  The question is not which one to do, the question is which part would you like to improve (and perhaps both parts).

I would recommend a facelift so improve your cheek tissue descent, marrionette lines, jowls and neck.  Couple this with fat grafting and a strong perioral peel or laser, you give you the best results. 

A Facelift Addresses the Whole Lower Face

Thank you for your question. It is one that I hear often, and the answer really depends on your specific cosmetic goals. If you are interested in a procedure that addresses your concerns about the lower face as a whole, a facelift is the way to go. Laser skin resurfacing can treat the lines around the mouth, but that is all. If your concerns include sagging skin and jowls, a surgical lift is needed to provide the results you want. I encourage you to consult with several board-certified plastic surgeons before making a decision. Best of luck.

If your concern is sagging skin on the jowels and neck, the answer is not Laser Resurfacing. You will need to speak to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation to discuss the surgery and the risks. Laser Resurfacing is meant to smooth out lines, it will not tighten the neck or jawline. Is this physician a board certified plastic surgeon? That is very important in this case. 

FACELIFT is needed and not laser.

You are a candidate for a lower facelift and possibly thereafter a little laser for skin surface purposes.  My Best,  Dr Commons