Wrinkles for face such as on the jaw, on whole face. Do I get facelift or try Botox first?

I'm 68 yrs old. I'm planning on getting face work. Should I have dermal a abrasive or skin resurfacing first, get Botox to firm up or facelift?

Which Facial Procedure.

Thanks for your question. You will really need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon. The Items you are describing do very different things.  Botox paralyzes facial muscles and works well for activity related wrinkles. Resurfacing, laser or dermabrasion do better for very fine lines and wrinkles. Fillers plump up areas of depression. Facelift tightens up loose or droopy areas that are beyond what these other things can do. You plastic surgeon will evaluate you, help to hone in which treatments will best accomplish the goals you are seeking. In complete facial rejuvenation it is often a combination of all these options that may be used.

Hope this helps.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic treatments are based on visual esthetic needs

I am not sure how we are expected to provide a relevant or helpful response without the benefit of an exam or even pictures to review. I recommend you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to perform an examination and discuss your cosmetic goals and best available options to achieve those goals.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and dermal filler

It is best to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist and have a personalized assessment/consultation.  This can ensure you do the right treatments for your concern.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Non-surgical versus surgical facial rejuvenation options

It's hard to give you an exact answer without seeing you first, but during a consultation I tell my patients what they can achieve with non-surgical versus surgical options.  Patients who are looking for something subtle without any recovery most commonly choose Botox and fillers.  For those patients who desire a more refreshed and younger look that can last 5-10 years, they usually choose a facelift, eyelid lift, browlift, etc to achieve this look.

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Consider skin resurfacing for wrinkles on the entire face and facelift for skin laxity.

Consider skin resurfacing (laser, peel, etc) for wrinkles of the entire face, while Botox (or Dysport, Xeomin) can help improve wrinkles in more specific areas. Facelift surgery is better for loose skin, droopy tissue, sagging muscle, and excess neck fat, while not the first option to improve the skin surface itself. If you haven't already, then speak with a plastic surgeon to review further.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Usually when the skin has sagged and the underlying support is gone a patient will require a facelift to rejuvenate these areas.  Botox is great for lines and wrinkles or excessive motion of the forehead but is not a facelift.  Likewise, dermal treatments will smooth out some of the surface irregularities but will not lift or restore the youthful face contour. 

Wrinkles on Face and Cosmetic Fillers and Lasers

It is best to treat these wrinkles with a combination of Thermage to tighten the skin, fillers and Botox and lasers such as Fraxel.  These modalities will tighten the skin, reduce wrinkles, and smooth out the skin and discoloration to provide and overall facial rejuvenation.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Full facial rejuvenation with lasers, microneedling/prp, RF, Sculptra, Kybella, Ultherapy

This is tough to answer without pictures. I find that a combination of lasers or RF, sculptra for collagen building, microneedling/prp and skin care help with skin rejuvenation. Kybella, Ultherapy and/or ThermiRF treatments (Venus Legacy) would be non-invasive options that would do well in combination for skin tightening. Botox and fillers can be used to treat facial lines and wrinkles. Please see a cosmetic dermatologist for a long term treatment plan.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Facelift

In all likelihood a facelift will probably be a good thing. However, surface skin treatment with laser may help smooth out fine lines.  Botox can help with animation lines, and fillers/fat may be beneficial as well.

Face lift

This is an excellent question and one that comes up often.  Besides the traditional options of fillers, botox and surgical facelifts, many newer treatment options have emerged in the past year.  They include treatment of fine wrinkles and skin tightening with "Infini radio-frequency" and skin tightening and lift with "Ultherapy".  Infini is safe for all skin types and unlike a traditional laser produces heat in the deep dermis without damaging the epidermis.  Results may not compare directly to a facelift but may come close.  It would be a good idea for you to do your research on all options and then find a doctor with good reputation in this field.