Can a Tummy tuck and inner thigh lift help me during my weight loss to make it easier to exercise?

I'm a 28 yr old female, no children, yet. Been losing weight but have about 80lbs left to lose. I carry my weight well (pear shaped) for most all my weight from the waist down. Now I am finding it hard to exercise like I feel my body CAN, but cant with the lower tummy and thick inner thighs in the way. Can I get a tummy tuck and an inner thigh lift, so I can continue to exercise to my full potential and help with my weight loss and tone my body more as I go?

Thank you for your question. Congrats on your weight loss. I would echo what Dr. Morgan said in her answer. If your goal is to lose 80 more pounds, you are much better off to wait until you have reached your goal weight and have been stable at that weight for about 6 months before proceeding with surgery. You want your results to be optimized and you want them to last, and having cosmetic surgery and then 80 pounds later, having your problems only return would be frustrating and somewhat of a waste of an investment. And remember, skin removal surgery is not weight loss surgery. I would recommend compression garments and continuing your weight loss journey. If you have any questions about surgical options, get a consultation with a local board certified plastic surgeon.

Tummy tuck and thigh lift now or later after weight loss is done?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and thigh lift.
  • I am so proud of your for losing weight - what a great investment in yourself and your future.
  • Usually it is better to wait until you finish losing the weight for two reasons -
  • After you lose another 80 pounds you will need the surgery re-done.
  • And with surgery, you will not be able to exercise and it will disrupt your weight loss.
  • That said, at times surgery is needed during weight loss -
  • Given your trouble exercising, try finding snug spandex garments to give you support (like long leg biking pants) but also see a plastic surgeon to get her/his opinion as well.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck/thigh lift

Amazing accomplishment on your weight loss!
I wholeheartedly agree with the other surgeons who have responded to your query. -You should achieve your goal weight and maintain it for 3-6 months prior to undergoing body contouring procedures. -This will avoid the need for repeating the procedures as well as minimizing your intraoperative and postoperative risk. In addition, it will allow you to achieve the best possible results with the least risks.
My very best to you in reaching your goals! 

Rachel Streu, MD

Tummy tuck and combination procedures

Your question is a common one but often patients have not demonstrated your success with weight loss before wanting surgery. Your need to lose an additional 80 lbs makes it clear that this needs to be your priority. All body contouring and skin tightening procedures are best performed when patients are at their healthy weight. Only then can we (Plastic Surgeons) optimize the reshaping of your body that did not respond to the weight loss alone. You are young and motivated. Focus on your health and then as you approach your goal weight consult with an experienced Plastic Surgeon to plan on your procedures. Keep it going!

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss

I agree with the recommendations already made with one additional point.  I tell my patients to get to within 10% of their final target weight prior to the procedure.  For example, if your target weight was 150 lbs., then any weight between 165 and 150lbs. would be OK.Hope this helps.Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon