Do I need a Tummy tuck or Lipo? (photos)

I have the options of getting Lipo on my abs/flanks and transferring the fat to my butt or getting a mini TT with Lipo. My questions are; if I get a TT, will I have enough fat to transfer to my butt? Also if I have a mini TT, will he be able to repair muscle separation on top stomach if I need it? I did a diastasis rectiI test on myself and I only fit one finger above my belly botton and none below. I had cool sculpting done on my lower abs/flanks and my skin seams to have shrinkend just fine.

Do I need a Tummy tuck or Lipo?

Hello and thank for the great photos. For me it is obvious that you will achieve your best possible results with a TT with lipo and BBL. You will have enough fat for a significant improvement BBL if you get a tummy tuck done as well. It will be more then enough fat to increase the size and shape of your butt.

Sure...The more fat we can harvest, the larger the end result. But I believe this should not be at the expanse of abdominal liposuction that will leave you with excess, flabby skin and will not address your abdominal wall muscle separation. This means you would get larger results, but you might end up with a flaccid tummy rather then a flat tummy. 

Total muscle repair si best addressed with a Traditional TT. In my opinion a well done total muscle repair is actually the most important step in achieving a flat tummy, and this also helps taper your waist as well.

The different types of procedures that claim to tighten skin, be them surgical (like smartlipo or later lipo etc.), or non-surgical (like Thermi Tight or Vellashape), will never substitute the TT when a TT is actually needed. 

I believe you are a perfect candidate for a TT with Lipo of flanks, full back and BBL. This will definitely give you the results you are looking for.

Best of luck on your decision!
Dr. Miguel Mota

Do I need a Tummy tuck or Lipo?

Thank you for your question. Loss of skin elasticity and skin sagging occurs due to effects of gravity over time. These problems can be seen in any part of body but especially in abdominal area. Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a surgical procedure to make the abdomen thinner and more firm. It consists of removing excess skin and fat tissue and muscle repairing if required. In some patients it can be combined with liposuction. There are several variations of tummy tuck surgery like regular tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck each designed to target certain areas of the abdomen. During the procedure the incision will be made low at about the same level as your pubic hair for the scar to be hidden under bikini level. For improved tightening of the upper abdomen a small incision around belly button might be necessary. Placement of the belly button is very important for a beautiful belly. Tummy tuck operation is also a surgical choice for patients whom want to get rid of love handles. Our experienced plastic surgeons will explain these options and help you find out best treatment plan to reach satisfactory results.

Do I need a Tummy tuck or Lipo?

Thanks for the great photos.  You may have a future in medical photography!

If you are done with childbearing, a full tummy tuck would give you the best result.  I think you would be very disappointed with the result of a mini tummy tuck.  Very few patients are good candidates for a mini and you are not one of them.  Lipo to your flanks and some fat transfer to your toosh would be the icing on the cake.

It is important that you are at a stable and sustainable weight when you have any body contouring done.

Make sure you see someone who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  You are lucky to live in Spokane (my home town).  There are many really excellent plastic surgeons there!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

TT or Lipo

For the best results you will need both. The procedure can be combined or separated into to two. Fat needs to be removed from the back and hips as well as the lower abdomen. The skin and muscle needs to be tightened. 

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or tummy tuck

Your question is a common one - you have to balance the desire for optimum shape vs. surgical scar. Lipo will have the fewest scars, and provide a significant improvement. Recovery will be faster than a TT. However, the contour changes from a TT with Lipo will be much more dramatic (albeit recovery is more difficult and you will have a longer scar).  

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Options for You

You can undergo thorough Liposculpting and fat transfer to the buttocks. This will acheive significant improvements in your shape and a shorter recovery.  If you want to remove the extra skin and tighten up the muscles then proceed with the tummy tuck. You can also combine the "two" procedures but the amount of donor fat is usually less and the post op positioning is tricky. There's more to the story so please spend your time with appropriate consultations. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Great candidate for TT and BBL

You are a great candidate for full TT and BBL; although tightening of muscles is possible with mini, I don't recommend it as it is very difficult to get great results. Please see example below.       

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Body Contouring: Options

Dear  Ms. Anthonysmommy,

Thank you for your story, questions and posted photos. Unfortunately without examining you I can only provide general information based on the information you provided which I hope you will find helpful:
1)we all have both internal fat (located n your internal organs and pushing your belly outward) and external fat (on top of your muscles). Internal fat can not be treated by either liposuction or tummy tuck...only weight loss.
2)You did not mention your current height or weight. We often calculate body mass index (BMI) that helps us give you better advice. I recommend that you attain you goal weight prior to surgery.
3)You appear to have a bulge above the pubic area: this may represent some seperation of your rectus muscles that will only be corrected by abdominoplasty
4)their are three types tummy tucks:
a) traditional (muscle repaired from breast bone to pubic bone)
b) mini (muscle repaired from umbilicus (tummy button) to pubic bone)
c) extended (like traditional tummy tuck but extends around at to hip area
all will remove excess fat and skin of the lower abdomen. The remaining skin is stretched tight resulting in smooth abdominal appearance.
5liposuction will remove only external fat but may leave your skin loose and hanging.
liposuction will not repair separated muscles
6)both liposuction and tummy tuck are often done together, except in the upper abdomen (May reduce blood flow and cause healing/flap problems at the tummy tuck incision.
7)the types of liposuction are:
a)traditional suction asst. Liposuction (SAL)
b) ultrasonic asst. liposuction (UAL)
c) power asst. liposuction (PAL)
d) laser asst. liposuction (LAL)
e) water asst liposuction (WAL)
are all effective and are secondary to the experience of the Plastic Surgeon
8)non surgical methods to help "shrink skin" after liposuction use RF:
a) Vellashape III
b) Thermi tight
a) depending on how large you want your buttock you appear to have enough donor areas. 
b) yes both procedures can be done together.

1) based on limited information and not being able to evaluate you in person I would recommend you reach your goal weight and then have a traditional tummy tuck and liposuction to contour the flank areas and back
2) I suggest you make several appointments with different Plastic Surgeons who are Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Tummy tuck or liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question. I think you will get a nice result with liposuction and a bbl. I think you will get a better result with a mini tummy tuck and liposuction and bbl and finally the best results will come from a full tummy tuck with liposuction and bbl.
Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

TT vs Lipo

Liposuction is less invasive and quicker to recover from than a Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty). This is because liposuction only involves removing fat from beneath your skin. Your body will cause the overlying skin to contract only to the degree it is capable, often leaving redundant skin which can be unsightly. In other words, you need good elasticity to get a good result.
A Tummy Tuck involves removing redundant skin and tightening the underlying muscles. Sometimes liposuction is combined as needed with a Tummy Tuck for the best possible result. The question is whether the shape of your abdomen is affected by an excess of fat, skin, muscle separation or laxity, or some combination thereof. This can only be determined by examination, so go ahead and consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Some of my patients elect to have liposuction first, and then opt for a Tummy Tuck if the results are not satisfying