Thinking of getting Gastric Bypass Surgery. Do you think I am a good candidate?

I am a 28 year old female. 5'5" and weigh 270lbs. Besides being overweight, I am healthy. No serious medical conditions, no sleep apnea, good cholesterol, no high blood pressure etc... I'm sure my BMI is rather high though. I have lost weight in the past but the last few years no matter how hard I try I cant seem to loose much, if any. I am young and want to live my life healthy but I need help. Do you think I would be a good candidate? Would insurance cover me with out other health issues?

Am I a good candidate?

Hello dear, thanks for your question!

Gastric bypass surgery is the most common type of weight-loss surgery. Gastric bypass and other types of weight-loss surgery, collectively known as bariatric surgery, make surgical changes to your stomach and digestive system that limit how much food you can eat and how many nutrients you absorb, leading to weight loss.

While that may sound appealing, gastric bypass surgery isn't for everyone. Like any major procedure, it has significant health risks and side effects. In addition, the long-term success of gastric bypass surgery depends on your ability to make permanent changes in your lifestyle. When you want to be considered for gastric bypass surgery, you must undergo a thorough evaluation to determine if it's suitable for your situation.

You may need to meet certain medical guidelines to qualify for weight-loss surgery. You likely will have an extensive screening process to see if you qualify.

In general, gastric bypass and other weight-loss surgery could be an option for you if:

• Efforts to lose weight with diet and exercise have been unsuccessful
  • Your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher (extreme obesity)
  • Your BMI is 35 to 39.9 (obesity) and you have a serious weight-related health problem, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or severe sleep apnea

In some cases, you may qualify for certain types of weight-loss surgery if your BMI is 30 to 34 and you have serious weight-related health problems.

I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified bariatric surgeon for a personal evaluation!\

Good luck in this journey!

Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon