Subutex and Breast augmentation questions.

I am currently prescribed subutex for opiate dependence. I am undergoing a BA soon and am wondering if this medication will affect anesthesia? Also since I cannot take narcotic pain medication, do you think I will have significant troubles post-op with pain just taking Tylenol? Obviously I realize that every persons tolerance to pain is different but it is possible and manageable to do it without narcotic pain meds like hydrocodone etc?

Subutex and breast augmentation questions.

Thank you for your question. You may be more resistant to the effects of the anesthetic. As for post op medications, please speak with your surgeon. Your surgeon will determine what the best options for you are. Best, 

Thank you for your question. This is something that you should discuss with both your surgeon and your pain management doctor. If you cannot take anything to control post-op pain, you might consider a less painful technique such as a subglandular augmentation. In addition, there are multiple products out there for extended local anesthesia, such as a pain pump or Exparel that would give you better pain control without narcotic pain medication. I would discuss your plan for postoperative pain management in detail with your surgeon and make sure everything is set up to your satisfaction before proceeding. Hope this helps!

Narcotics after Breast Augmentation

Yes LS001,You will need narcotic mediation after a breast augmentation. I can think of only one patient in literally 100s of breast augmentations that I have done that did not require any narcotic medication.  This did not should not discourage her from seeking your operation.  Discuss this fully with your doctors and your plastic surgeon. Good Luck

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

We see a few patients each year with similar questions. Submuscular breast augmentation requires narcotic pain meds for a few days. We leave the management of this to the doctor managing your addiction issues so this is a question for that doctor. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Should be fine

You are still a candidate for breast augmentation surgery.  However, I would see your pain specialist prior to surgery to discuss post surgical pain management.Best Wishes,nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS