How long is recovery after a Breast Augmentation for a hairstylist?

I am scheduled to have my BA May 27th. (It can't come fast enough!) I am taking off 9 days to recover from surgery, which I'm sure will be plenty of time, but I work in a fast pace salon so I am constantly raising my arms and my upper body, I'm worried my work will affect my healing time? Any advice is welcome.

Time to resume work after breast augmentation?

In my Beverly Hills practice I restrict patient's physical exertion and lifting, pushing or pulling to the force required to lift or move a towel or pillow for the first two weeks. Afterwards I increase it to several pounds but the less stress you put on the muscle the less risk of complications from healing. Raising your elbow to shoulder height or slightly above should not present a problem, but I would avoid any forceful tugging, pushing or pulling during the first several weeks and that would include lifting a heavy case.Each doctor has different protocols so speak to your surgeon. I would also advise you of the importance of avoiding any blood thinners to reduce the risk of bleeding while your muscle is healing. Bleeding during formation of your capsule can cause scar tissue or capsule contracture to develop.Good luck and best wishes. It's easier to be careful before a complication than after it's occurred!Jon A Perlman M.D., FACSCertified, American Board of Plastic SurgeryMember, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic SurgeryBeverly Hills, California

Returning to a demanding occupation should be cleared by your surgeon

but if you could make your schedule less than demanding, its possible it could work for you.  Still need your surgeons approval so do not take any one else's recommendations as its your surgeon that will have to deal with any problems should they arise. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Aug Recovery.

I have had hair stylists return to work one week after their procedure. They usually start slow and see how it goes. 9 days should be fine. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

The current plan of 9 days off should be adequate before returning to the salon, but I find most hairstylists do best when they restrict their work the first week back to half the work load they are used to. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Going back to work?

The best resource for the answer to your question is to go back and ask your operating surgeon. The vast majority of my breast augmentation patients are usually able to return to all of the most physical jobs in a 2-3 day time period. That being said, what I would tell you is to go back to work and do as much as you can unless it hurts. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon has a different protocol when it comes to postop recovery. The amount of pain and restrictions after breast augmentation somewhat depends on the technique and the placement of the implant. I usually tell patients to plan on a few days to a week of discomfort. After that, most patients very quickly return to work or basic normal activities. However, I tell them to avoid heavy lifting or any specific chest exercises (pushing/pulling) for 4-6 weeks. As long as you can avoid heavy lifting, I think it will be ok to return to work. Best to ask your surgeon his or her opinion regarding your recovery.