Could it be a Chin implant infection? (photo)

I had a medpor chin implant 10 days ago, since the i strted to feel pain when pressing the right area of my jaw and last night i noticed blood Under my tongue coming from the same side that herts. I saw my surgeon and he doesn't think its an infection! So what is it?

Infection after a Chin Implant

The implant should be on the opposite side of the mandible, a long ways away from that little blood spot.  This does not look like an infection.  However, of course, a physical exam with vital signs and possibly blood tests are the only way to completely rule out an infection.  

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant infection

Thank you for your question and photo.  Based on the information provided, it sounds very unlikely that this is an infection from the implant.  The implant is on the other side (labial side) of the mandible and there should not be any communication with the lingual side.  Unless you are having worsening pain, swelling, redness, warmth, fevers or drainage from the incision, its probably not infection.  I can't say for sure what it is though without more information.  It could be as simple as a small excoriation in that area from eating Doritos, etc....

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant infection?

Thank you for asking about your medpor chin implant.
  • For me, the important question is when did the pain start and is it getting better or worse.
  • If you have had this pain since surgery, and there is more blood on that side, you might have had a little bleeding around the implant right after surgery. This may improve on its own or may need to be drained.
  • If you have pain in one spot from the time of surgery, a nerve may be irritated by the surgery or the implant.
  • If pain and swelling began 10 days after surgery and is not getting better, that suggests  an infection.
  • Sometimes it is impossible to be sure what is going on -
  • If the pain improves, things are getting better. Give it more time.
  • If it gets worse or persists, you need to return to your surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Could it be a Chin implant infection?

This is unlikely to be an infection but should be followed closely by your surgeon. Call them immediately if you develop:
  • Fever
  • Drainage from the incision
  • Heat around the chin area
  • Increase tenderness or swelling
  • Redness of the overlying skin
Best!Stephen Weber MD, FACSLone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Abnormal Swelling after Chin Implant

You may have a hematoma of the soft tissue surrounding your jaw area related to your surgery. It would be unusual for this to track into the area of the floor of your mouth, but not impossible for this to happen. If pain persists or you notice an increase in swelling or discoloration, you may require surgical drainage. Your surgeon can best determine this for you and recommend any additional measures. Please follow up with your doctor. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon