Botox for overactive brow?

I had 5 units for my over active brow. It's been 5 days now, and i look fine but I am unable to lift the brow, so now it looks like my other brow is over active because it still moves when I'm talking. Will it be able to move a little more soon? Or will I basically have to wait it out 4 months? Also I thought about getting 1 unit in my other one just to help calm it but I for sure don't want it unexpressionable like my other. It's defiantly noticeable that one isn't moving when I talk

You may need more botox to balance the other side of your eyebrows.

Hello funkymonky,
Thanks for your question.
It will take up to 7-10 days for the treated brow to be fully treated.  If you are noticing an asymmetry, then a little more Botox placed into the other, still active, side can create a little more balance.
Otherwise you will have to wait for 2.5-3 months for the treated side to "wake up."
Then, for future Botox treatments, you can use less Botox on the treated side or Botox both sides very carefully to create balance.
Hope this helps..
Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Balancing your brow with more BOTOX®

Thanks for your question. You have a few options regarding treating and evening out your brow. You can either go back in and have the untreated/active side injected to even out the brow, or you can wait until the treated side has “come back,” so to speak, and then have both brows evenly injected. The unconscious movement in the active brow is more noticeable right now because you’re still in the healing/treatment stages. Give it a few days, and if you don’t notice some leveling out, you may want to visit your provider and see what can be done.

Botox Injections

Botox takes anywhere from 7-14 days to take full effect. Although you are having trouble lifting one of your eyebrows I would recommend waiting to get any more Botox until at least 2 weeks after your original treatment. Botox can change as it settles into place, and if you alter it before giving it a chance to completely kick in, you could compromise getting the final result that you want. If you still have the same concerns after two weeks, I suggest scheduling a follow up visit with the injecting physician so that they can assess you in person and determine if injecting a small amount in the other brow will help. Often times, this can be an effective solution.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Botox for overactive brow?

Thank you for your question. From what you have described I recommend you have a small amount of Botox injected above the other brow to even them out. It will most likely take 3 months for movement in your over active brow to take place again.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Overactive Brow

If you want to appear more symmetric, you could treat the other brow so it does not move as much. Next time you could use less units so you have more movement.  It will take 3 months to wear off.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Correcting asymmetry

You are correct, asymmetry usually is treated by adding more botox to the more active side to even out the results.

Treating Asymmetry

When treating asymmetry and treating one side of the face differently than the other, less is more. Botox does usually take 7-10 days for full effect, so touch ups are not done in first 2 weeks after the initial treatment to know the final result prior to adjusting. In this case where the treated side has less movement than the non-treated side, it may be best to have your treating physician to add a small amount on the other side for balance.

Robert Bacigalupi, MD

Fine tunign botox

The area injected with 5 units will slowly wear off and movement return over the next 4-10 weeks. Some mild movement may return as quickly as 4 weeks since the dose was small. A tiny bit (1-2 units) over the other brow may help even them out as you wait for the botox effect to wane.

Botox to the eyebrows

Greetings,

You probably need to just do 2 or 3 units of Botox to the overactive side to make them equal in the future.  For now, I probably would recommend a couple of units to the opposite side just to make them more even.  Although you don't want to decrease movement on that side, it will be much less distracting to you and others to decrease movement a bit on the opposite side.  Also, with just 5 units injected, it will likely not take the 4 full months to get some movement back in that area.  Good luck!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Botox can take a week or so to work.  If one side is a bit more active, then you might need a touch up.