Who Specializes in Male Areola Reduction with Incision Done at Base of Nipple?

I am male and plan on having my areolas reduced in size within the next month. I want to make sure as liitle of a scar is shown, for that reason I want to have the incision made at the base of nipple rather than around entire areola.

Specialist in Male Areola Reduction

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.
As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition.
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

It is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Scars following areola reduction

It is quite common for patients requesting aesthetic improvement to request a procedure; which, though advantageous in their minds (mini facelift, for example), is quite incapable of giving them the outcome they demand. Oddly, many insist, and actually prevail upon inexperienced and gullible surgeons to do what they want. The result is that they end up unhappy and occasionally litigious.

I would urge all prospective patients to seek the best advice they can get - preferably from Board Certified Plastic Surgeons - rather than simply seeking out some one who will carry out their orders. After all, people who doctor themselves have a fools for patients. Then, take the advice.

I am sorry, but an areola reduction always involves a borderline scar around the nipple-areola complex. However, since the nipple becomes far smaller, it is not conspicuous once mature (6-12 months).

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Areola reduction scar in a male.

The best way to do an areola reduction is to keep the incision and subsequent scar in the areola itself. An incision limited to just below the nipple may cause the nipple to be off-center in the areola. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and plan your procedure.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon