My nose has been broken since 2002 and has healed crooked. It is 2016. Can my nose be fixed and straightened? (Photo)

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from osteotomies and spreader grafts to help straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the broken nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening the twisted, crooked and broken nose. Osteotomies placed in nasal bones are required to narrow them. A cartilaginous spreader graft will also be required to be placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the mid-portion of the nose. A tip rhinoplasty may be required to straighten the  crooked nasal tip. A septoplasty may also be required on the inside of the nose if the septum has been fractured and is now blocking airflow. For more information and many examples of broken nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below 

Likely a septal fracture and nasal bone fracture has lead to the deviation.  By undergoing a septoplasty and re-breaking the bones the nose can be straightened again.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Rhinoplasty candidate

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Can my nose be fixed and straightened?

Your nose can definitely be straightened. It will require a complete history and physical exam and a operative plan that matches the reasons your nose is crooked. The surgery can be done under IV sedation and I would advocate the open approach. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Can my nose be fixed and straightened?

The nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a probable septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and technically how to do it based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and curvature

Yes, you can have a rhinoplasty to try to straighten the nose. You are best to be seen by a rhinoplasty expert. Good luck.

Broken nose

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It appears that you would benefit and see much improvement from a septorhinoplasty but I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery to have a physical examination done and see exactly what needs fixed. Anything internal should be covered by your insurance. The doctor’s office will call your insurance for a precertification to see if it will cover your procedure. If there is anything external that you do not like such as a hump or crooked appearance, this will most likely have to be paid for out of pocket. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose

Based on your photos, it appears that your nasal bones are deviated as well as the septum. This is common after nasal trauma. Nasal deviations can definitely be improved and if you have breathing problems from one side of the nose this can be corrected as well. Make sure your surgeon considers the internal as well as external problems causing your crooked nose.

J. Phillip Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon