Should I try to find an Ambidextrous surgeon to do my eyes?

I very often see eye lift Review photos from patient's whose eye incisions are very different between their L and R eyes. AND I can accurately predict from seeing the closed-eye pics what difference in lid margin and tissue "overhang" above crease will be manifest in their open-eye healed pics. If I can see it as a lay person why do you make your "cuts" in a way that creates such differences ON THE SAME PERSON?

Asymmetrical eyelid surgery to make the eyelids more symmetrical

Everyone has some degree of asymmetry of the eyelids. Some patients have it even more significant than others. No one has perfectly symmetrical eyelids. Frequently, we perform asymmetrical eyelid surgery  in an attempt to balance out the upper lids. The incision is usually placed in the pre-existing natural skin crease on each eyelid, but can be adjusted upwards or downwards if necessary. An ambidextrous surgeon is really not ambidextrous, but is either left-hand dominant or right-hand dominant. For many examples eyelid surgery and more information, please see the video and  the link below

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question about eyelid surgery.

Finding an ambidextrous surgeon is not necessary.

The left and right incisions can be different because most people usually have some facia asymmetry to start with.

To be sure what is right for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Eye Lift Asymmetry

Everyone is somewhat asymmetric. That being said, all the surgeons I know measure and mark the eyes before injection anything or making any incisions in order to make them as symmetric as possible. There are, however, forces that occur during healing that occasionally cannot be predicted. The most common problem is swelling (in spite of frequently using drugs to control it) that can cause stretch of tissues and, thus, occasionally some degree of asymmetry. This is, however, very unusual. If you are seeing asymmetry frequently in the post op pictures of whomever you have seen, I suggest you see someone else.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Following the same reasoning

Surgeons we should admit only patients with perfect facial assymetry.

Your have a naive way of thinking, logical from a lay perspective but not in the practice. No one person in the world is really ambidextrous by nature.

Research and find a good surgeon, and he'll make the best work on both sides.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon