Spams in abdomen? (photo)

Hi there! I am 23 days post tummy tuck. I find if I am on my feet a lot I am getting almost a "Charlie horse" feeling in my stomach muscles. Is this typical? It isn't painful, just uncomfortable. Should I apply heat? Thanks so much!

Spasms In Abdomen

Thank you for your question and photo. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said it is not uncommon to experience spasms in your abdomen after three weeks post op. To put your mind at ease, I recommend that you contact your surgeon who can determine if you are physically overdoing it, if this is normal for you or if another issue is developing.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Spams in abdomen?

These "spasms" are a rare occurrence after TT but why not see your surgeon ASAP to be examined///???

Muscle Spasm

I'm assuming that you mean muscle spasms in your abdomen. These are very normal after a tummy tuck and nothing to be alarmed about.

Tightening

I believe this is due to several things. The nerve endings are starting to recover and you are getting some sensitivity back. Also- your body is adding collagen and "scar tissue" to the diastasis repair ( assuming you had one) . As this happens, and the swelling internally subsides, there is sensation of tightening. That is my theory anyway since I have heard this concern before. A warm ( not hot) pack may help. Also anti-inflammatories. You have to watch anything hot since you will not have normal protective sensation of your abdominal skin and you might burn yourself. Self massage may help too. Good luck!

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon