Will scar revision help this Macs Lift scar? (photos)

I had a macs lift a year ago, and am very unhappy with the scar and experience in general. Dr. Fransisco Giraldo, who performed the surgery at Xanit Hospital, defends his work. A second opinion suggested I'd have to endure another partial lift, and the macs sutures would have to be tightened and he suggested it wasn't worth the trouble. I'm hoping an expert in this sort of procedure can guide me before I make another bad decision, as I did by choosing this surgeon/ hospital.

Scar revision

I think at least the scar would do well to be revised. In order to create the extra skin to do this a limited lift procedure would be necessary. If this is done, then the scar could be almost completely hidden under the lobe and behind the tragus (cartilage lump in front of the ear)The upside is you would get a further improvement on your facial rejuvenation and a neater scar. Alas it would mean, in essence, a whole new facelift. Hope that helpsAdam Goodwin

Scar revision after facelift

Your scar can be revised in one of two ways- firstly, laser skin resurfacing can be tried to camouflage the scars, this may not work well as the scar has lost color but is worth a try. 
Secondly, the scar can be removed or further diminished by redoing your facelift through traditional incisions around the ears, in the hope that you will have enough skin to move back, towards the lines around the ear, thereby further camouflaging the scar. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Revising the MACS lift scar

I would advise that your scar should be revised. The scar is located in a visible area of the ear and above it. It should be made following the tragus of the ear and then extended into the lines of the ear and the hairless region above the ear.

Susan Kaweski, MD

MACS lift issue

I am personally not a fan of the MACS lift because of the very vertical pull it places on the skin. Your scars aren't great and could possible be excised and re-closed if there is some looseness again. I can't see enough of your face in the photo to comment further.

Scar revision is the right option

Hi there. I am sorry to hear about the trouble you have suffered. I believe the outcome could be improved significantly through scar revision. The incision placement appears inaccurate - too displaced from the ear and earlobe, which is a common cause of scar visibility. Good luck!

MACS scar revision

Your scar appears to be quite anterior (in front) of the ear line and is mature. Correcting this problem is not straightforward as it would involving removing the old scar and mobilising skin to move it back to the ear line. 

The pull-back could be an option if there is enough skin laxity.

Redoing stitches in a MACS lift is difficult and any corrective deeper surgery would certainly involve a full re-do and sometime a long incision facelift procedure.

You will need to consider all this and then move things forwards.

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Will scar revision help this Macs Lift scar?

Thank you for your question. Yes, I would think that a scar revision would help. The photo you submitted is not a typical MACS Lift scar. The placement is not typical and the hypo-pigmentation and suture marks make it very conspicuous. You should get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in facial rejuvenation for the best result. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

MACS facelift scars

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your question and photos.

It is hard to tell how if you have enough skin but I would definitely recommend a scar revision. It seems that sutures were left too long and you got railroad track scars.I dont think you need to complete redo the operation but just a simple scar revision but ONLY if there was skin excess, if not then you would need to redo the operation. As far as I know, you can re-tighten the sutures from a MACS lift but completely redo them.  Some before pictures would definitely help in your assessment. I recommend expressing your concerns to your plastic surgeon again and ask that he help correct your issues. Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Revision Of The MACS Lift Scar

I am sorry for your frustration. Ideally the scar should closely follow the outline and contours of the ear.
In your photo, it appears that the scar would be less noticeable if it was revised and elevated to hide in the
shadows and the depression near the top of the ear and then come forward under the sideburn and hairline.
This may be possible as soon as there is some laxity so the tissues can be mobilized and the scar repositioned.
It is also important that your sutures be removed by 4-6 days so they do not leave any cross hatch marks.
Avoiding tension with the skin closure is also important in obtaining an optimal scar appearance.
I would suggest that you obtain an evaluation with an experienced aesthetic Plastic Surgeon to discuss these concepts.