Blue peel on Mediteranean skin, very much damaged (Photo)

Hello. I am very depressed with my skin. I saw a surgeon today who proposes a obagi blue peel without prep. Should I do the peel without the prep ? ? I am so scared my face would get worse. Thank you for your help.

Blue Peel

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Prepping the skin before performing the Obagi Blue Peel gives the best results. You will have a deeper more even peel which is important if you have pigmentation concerns.

You could have the peel without but you risk having suboptimal results.

Good luck

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Melarase creams before Obagi Blue Peel

Without question, you should start prep with Melarase AM, Melarase PM, and Melapads for at least one to two weeks. Sometimes, the peels can be performed without prep under strict supervision. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Blue Peel & Hyperpigmentation

Undergoing the Blue Peel without prep would likely come with an increased risk of worsening the very hyperpigmentation that you're trying to improve.  I would recommend using the Obagi NuDerm System with tretinoin for a period of 12 weeks before considering a Blue Peel.  Wishing you a beautiful result.

Paul B. Johnson, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blue peel - no skin prep

Thank you for asking about your Blue Peel.

I would never do a Blue Peel or any TCA peel without skin preparation. It puts you at risk of pigmentation changes that will be hard to correct.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Pre Treat

Thank you for sending us your question regarding pre treatment prior to a peel.  Though it is not mandatory, treating your skin with the proper products may give you a better resulting peel and reduce your chances of hyper pigmentation.  

M. Mark Mofid, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon