Blue peel on Mediteranean skin, very much damaged (Photo)

Hello. I am very depressed with my skin. I saw a surgeon today who proposes a obagi blue peel without prep. Should I do the peel without the prep ? ? I am so scared my face would get worse. Thank you for your help.

Blue Peel

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Prepping the skin before performing the Obagi Blue Peel gives the best results. You will have a deeper more even peel which is important if you have pigmentation concerns.

You could have the peel without but you risk having suboptimal results.

Good luck

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Melarase creams before Obagi Blue Peel

Without question, you should start prep with Melarase AM, Melarase PM, and Melapads for at least one to two weeks. Sometimes, the peels can be performed without prep under strict supervision. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Blue Peel & Hyperpigmentation

Undergoing the Blue Peel without prep would likely come with an increased risk of worsening the very hyperpigmentation that you're trying to improve.  I would recommend using the Obagi NuDerm System with tretinoin for a period of 12 weeks before considering a Blue Peel.  Wishing you a beautiful result.

Paul B. Johnson, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blue peel - no skin prep

Thank you for asking about your Blue Peel.

I would never do a Blue Peel or any TCA peel without skin preparation. It puts you at risk of pigmentation changes that will be hard to correct.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Skin conditioning prior to Obagi Blue Peel

The skin should be conditioned prior to any medium strenght peel which the Obagi Blue Peel is. It should be for at least 4 weeks in order to avoid pigmentary complications.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rebound after a Blue Peel is likely.

You have melasma hyper pigmentation. Sure this can be treated with a Blue Peel, but rebound is likely unless you use a prep before, and very strict after care including the use of HQ after your skin heals up. Even then you have a good chance of rebound re pigmentation. Look up melasma as this is a unique form of skin pigmentation that we treat with less aggressive methods-peels- laser. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Prep Is Necessary Before a Blue Peel

The Blue Peel is one of my favorite treatments for melasma, skin discoloration/hyperpigmentation, and sun damage.  However, it is very important to prepare your skin with excellent sun protection, hydroquinone (a skin lightening agent), and tretinoin (a vitamin A derivative) for several weeks prior to the peel for best results, particularly in patients with darker skin types.  Without adequate prep, you run the risk of actually worsening your skin discoloration.  I typically recommend at least 6-8 weeks of prep prior to the Blue Peel.  I would recommend that you seek a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to discuss your peel further.       

Faiyaaz Kalimullah, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Pre Treat

Thank you for sending us your question regarding pre treatment prior to a peel.  Though it is not mandatory, treating your skin with the proper products may give you a better resulting peel and reduce your chances of hyper pigmentation.  

M. Mark Mofid, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon