A year ago I did a labiaplasty, so my concern is I am pregnant now.. Is that okay?

Pregnant after Labiaplasty

Congratulations! It's completely ok to be pregnant. Enjoy your pregnancy, don't worry about your labia, they will be fine. Best Wishes
~Dr. Poucher

Pregnancy and labiaplasty

Perfectly OK. to be pregnant after a labiaplasty. The tissues may change in response to hormones, and it is possible that there could be injury to the labia minora and perineum in cases of vaginal delivery, but that is common to ALL women. About 50% of women have some type of birth trauma.

Pregnancy after Labiaplasty

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!  There should be no problems with pregnancy after your labiaplasty.  All the best!

Yes, it's ok that you're pregnant

Your labia are less likely to tear with a vaginal delivery now that you've had them reduced.
Many of my patients are teenagers, 10-20 years away from having a family, so it's perfectly fine that you are now pregnant. Apparently, you've enjoyed your new look enough to have sex and get pregnant, congratulations!

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Pregnancy after labiaplasty

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Vaginal childbirth should not affect your results unless you have some complications during the delivery.

The labiaplasty shouldn't impact your pregnancy but a vaginal delivery may affect your results. Worst case you may want a revision down the road. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Will pregnancy impact a labia reduction?

Dear Yssay,

That's a good question and the answer is it shouldn't.  It's actually better that you had the labiaplasty before getting pregnant because there is a risk of the labia getting torn during delivery and with smaller labia that doesn't usually happen.  Sometimes the hormones of pregnancy can change the color of the labial edges (it can also happen during puberty and peri-menopause), but they won't be stimulated to grow back.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Pregnancy after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I don't think it is going to be any issue with your pregnancy.

Childbirth after Labiaplasty

Damage to the labia minora is usually not a problem after labiaplasty. Occasionally, tears near the clitoris may occur with difficult childbirth, but the majority of the stretching and tearing usually take place along the posterior vaginal wall and perineum. Those are the areas that are treated with vaginoplasty. Women who have had vaginoplasty will definitely damage the repaired area if they have vaginal childbirth after their procedures.

Obstetric delivery after labiaplasty

Great, important and timely question to ask!  So... you've had a labiaplasty; are you at higher risk for significant tear when you have a baby? Is your risk higher after a curvilinear (Trim)? Higher with a V-Wedge? Anything you can do to protect your prescious perineum?

As a genital plastic researcher, I have long considered designing a research project to look into this very thing. Unfortunately, no such study has been performed. HOWEVER... I have polled my high-volume genital plastic collegues. Neither I, nor my collegues, have had our patients contact us after childbirth lamenting about problems with significant tears. We don't hear about it, but of course this doesn't mean it does not occur.

Bottom line? While you,may indeed have a tear, apparantly your risk is no higher after labiaplasty, regardless of the technique. So, go ahead and have a wonderful pregnancy and childbirth. Congratulations!

Michael P Goodman MD