1 month post op top and bottom eyelid surgery and have a small lump formed (Photo)

I am today 1 month post op having had top and bottom eyelid surgery, the lump is in the middle of the top eyelid on the scar and is getting bigger by. My surgeon said he didn't know what it was but to massage the scar, not sure if this is correct, can anyone advise please. It is quite soft and painful.

Upper eyelid lump

When there is a lump in the upper eyelid incision it is usually a suture granuloma.  This is a infection/inflammation around the buried sutures, or around a retained suture.  Usually resolves quickly with a short course of antibiotics and some warm compresses.   

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Possible infection

Thank you for posting your question and photo. The problem you have following blepharoplasty could be a mild infection. Ask your surgeon if a short course of antibiotics would be appropriate. If the bump gets bigger, you might need a small procedure to correct it.
Good luck,

I agree with massaging as a first intervention.  The scar is highly unlikely to be visible in the end.  I think you can feel confident that it will most likely take care of itself unless the sutures were left in for a long time. 

Ethan Philpott, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Small "bump" in the upper eyelid blepharoplasty incision

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  From the limited view provided in your photo it is not possible to make an accurate assessment of what this "bump" might be.  It is imperative that she continue to follow-up with your surgeon over the course of the first 4-6 months, until all the swelling has resolved.  In my experience, the most common reason a patient might complain of such symptoms would be something called a milia, or small skin cyst.  These can commonly occur at or near the incision site after upper eyelid blepharoplasty. In most cases milia resolve spontaneously. However, there are some additional less common problems that are not likely to resolve on their own. I would suggest that if this problem continues to worsen or does not resolve on its own and your surgeon continues to be uncertain of the cause of that you should consider getting a second opinion from another surgeon that performs a significant number of blepharoplasty procedures.  Thank you again for sharing or question and photographs.  Good luck!
Dr. Harmych

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon