Inappropriate to ask for photos of procedures performed?

Is it inappropriate to ask a consulting plastic surgeon for photos of patients they have worked on regarding the same procedure you are meeting to consult on? I am interested in rhinoplasty and seeing before and after photos would provide me with peace of mind, rather than being asked to have blind faith. If you are told that the surgeon does not share before and after photos of patients, should that be of concern?

Nose

mv3333, there are 3 things you want to look for when choosing a surgeon to perform your rhinoplasty (or any other facial plastic procedure). One is experience, the more the better in general. Two is specialization, make sure they do "only faces" and not everything. Three is plenty of good photos to review. Don't be fooled by computer imaging, anyone can do that and it does not correlate to results. Good luck and see video!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pictures

No, is not inappropiate to ask for pictures, you should not go completely blind to a surgery and if your Doctor have experience ina a procedure should have at least a couple of pictures that he is authorize to show. 

keep looking for a Surgeon you can trust. 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Before and after photos

I believe it is standard to have a series of before and after photos to show your patients. Typically photos that reveal somebody's identity (facial photographs)  are harder to obtain patient consent so they can be shown. Most patients are willing to have photos of their body shown  since it's harder to identify the patient, however photos of the face to include rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty and facelift patients are more reluctant to give consent to use those photos. Just the same your surgeon should have some examples of their work. 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Before and After Rhinoplasty Photographs

Dear mv3333, Absolutley!!!!! An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should have a large gallery of before and after photographs and in that gallery should be noses similar to your own. While some patients want their privacy protected most patients are so thrilled with their results they want to show other patients so they may also make an informed decision. See the link below for before and afters as well as the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Asking to See Rhinoplasty Results During Consultation.

Any experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will have the consent of many previous patients to show rhinoplasty results despite the fact that there are patients who are public figures or celebrities who want and need privacy. In fact the surgeon should be able to show you results in patients with noses like yours. Having said that, I would expect you to give permission after surgery to show your results to other patients during their consultation.

It is mission critical to look at  your prospective surgeon's before and after photographs to get an idea of the caliber of work that they can accomplish, since rhinoplasty is the hardest operation to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery. It is appropriate to ask to see patient's photographs, as long as the surgeon has patient permission. Look at the surgeon's before and after photo Gallery, board certifications, ratings and reviews.  Look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component of their practice to the discipline of rhinoplasty for best results.  For more information  and many before and after results of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

You should be able to see some photos.  But, yes, many patients do not like their photos made available in the office or online.

Before & After Photos a Must

Yes, it's not only appropriate, but something I definitely recommend. You need to see the surgeon's work in order to determine if he or her aesthetic is in line with your own. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Totally appropriate and normal. Most plastic surgeons want to "show off" their work. Run.  Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Asking To See Rhinoplasty Photos

In my opinion, it is fairly standard for a patient to see examples of a Surgeon's work.  This isn't an imposition on your part, but an industry standard.  This is especially true with Rhinoplasty, which is one of the most complicated of facial aesthetic procedures. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon