Are there any non narcotic meds to take after BA?

I get so nauseous when I take pain pills. I am not wanting to take them unless I really have to. I want to know if there is a different drug to take after BA.

#breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery #breastimplants

Hello ewatts79, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your breast augmentation surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our breast surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain medication after BA surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. Yes there are alternatives to narcotic pain medication for you after your surgery, and even long acting pain medication that can be given during your surgery that may help as well. Zofran and other anti-nausea medications may be of benefit too. It is best to see and discuss this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon before your surgery so that you are best prepared.Benjamin J. Cousins MD   Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Pain medication

There are non narcotic options for pain control.  One option is Tylenol, but be sure to let your surgeon know if you decide on this option as some surgeons prescribe medications that contain the same ingredient.  You want to be sure that you don't get too much of it.  There are medications available to help control nausea as well.

Camille Cash, MD

Pain meds after Breast Augmentation

You have some options with pain and nausea medications after surgery. Taking narcotics along with Zofran or Phenergan can help alleviate any nausea. However if you are not wanting to take Narcotic type pain medications you can always take over the counter Tylenol. Make sure when taking Tylenol you do not take more than the recommended daily dose. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon as I am sure there is a post operative protocol that he/she follows.

No narcotics after breast augmentatrion

yes there are many options to control discomfort after a breast augmentation.  Many of my patients take no narcotics.  Ask your board certified plastic surgeons what options you have.  Good Luck!

Breast augmentation post op care

Thank you for your question.  In many cases, patients have chosen to take Tylenol instead of narcotic pain medication post procedure.  Discuss this option wit your surgeon or possible other options that they may recommend for your post operative care, as each surgeon has their own unique set of post operative instructions.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Non-narcotics after breast augmentation

Depending on your surgeon's technique and preferences, there are some options for you. As mentioned in other responses, your surgeon may use a long acting local anesthetic called exparel, however most plastic surgeons do not for routine breast augmentations because the medication is expensive and the pain post-op is not that bad with proper surgical technique. The type of anesthesia will affect your immediate post-op nausea or vomiting, but will not affect a thing the following day(so general anesthesia or IV sedation is really a moot point for your question). If your surgeon is ok with toradol, this medication does come in an oral form that can be taken for up to 5 days post-operatively, with the first dose given intra-operatively IV. thanks for your question.

Non narcotic alternatives

In my practice, we try to identify patients who are at higher risk for postoperative nausea. As such, certain preemptive maneuvers such as intraoperative zofran , decadron and a postoperative prescription for either zofran or phenergan along with a scopolamine patch can be very useful to help with the discomfort of nausea. As far as pain medication, I typically use a long acting lysosomal bupivicaine that can provide significant pain relief for at least 2 days. Therefore, the majority of my patients do not need anything stronger than tylenol with codeine to help with pain control. The use of IV sedation as opposed to general endotracheal anesthesia decreases postoperative nausea and quicker return to home from the recovery room with less nausea. 
Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Alternative medications to narcotics

Thank you for your question.You should speak with your surgeon. The narcotics are likely the most effective to counter postoperative pain, but after a couple days you should be able to switch to tylenol and advil. I hope this helps.- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)