Under-eye Irritation?

The skin under my right eye has been very itchy and irritated lately. I thought it might just be because of dry skin, but I've tried a moisturizer and it hasn't been working. It is only under my right eye and has been bothering me, especially since my right eye has more creases than the left eye, making that side look more tired and older. Im only 19. What could be the cause of this and is there anything I can do to help the appearance of my under-eye?

Doctor Answers 3


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a common cause of lower lid discoloration. Sounds like your issue is likely dermatitis/eczema.

Eczema: much more common in young people with fair skin. The treatment for this is to hold off on makeup and any manipulation of the lower lid for a few weeks and try some topical anti inflammatory creams. If you have allergies those should be treated also.  A dermatologist is the best person to see for this. We have a multidisciplinary clinic with myself, a plastic surgeon, and my partner, a dermatologist which I think is ideal!

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Dermatitis - eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You may have dermatitis secondary to contact allergies. When eyelids itch, the tendency is to rub - which means hand to eyelid contact and more potential for allergens to land on the lid. I would recommend cool compresses with a clean wash cloth, NO EYELID RUBBING, and avoid lotions and potions until the skin clears up. If you must apply something for comfort, I would recommend a lubricating ophthalmic ointment available over-the-counter. If this doesn't clear up, see an ophthalmologist for additional suggestions. Rubbing causes inflammation, thickened skin, chronic changes including a crepe-paper appearance, detachment or stretching of muscles, tendons, ligaments. After the irritation clears, use some basic, gentle, hypoallergenic products - cleanser, sun screen, moisturizer. Dermatologist offices and some oculoplastics offices carry product lines that are specific to your needs. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Irritation under eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a large number of things that could be going on. This is not the sort of thing we should advise you on over the internet. I strongly encourage you to see a doctor.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.