For TT, does this require general anesthesia or local?

Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck

General anesthesia is necessary for a full tummy tuck that will include muscle tightening.  It would be difficult to achieve adequate anesthesia even if no muscle sutures are used.  Perhaps local anesthesia would be sufficient for a mini-tuck without muscle sutures.  Other than the reduced cost there is little reason to consider local anesthesia.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck und

Tummy tuck procedures in my practice are performed under a general anaesthetic and take up to 3 hours or so.  Typically, doctors offering tummy tuck surgery under local anaesthetic are not qualified to perform surgery in a fully accredited hospital or are cutting corners.  Tummy tuck surgery, done properly, requires very deep suturing of the muscles which requires general anaesthetic to ensure its performed safely and comfortably.

General anesthesia typically

For the comfort of the patient, general anesthesia is preferred by most surgeons when performing tummy tucks.

Local anesthesia

the skin and fat can be treated with local anesthesia, by the muscle is very difficult to tighten under local  anesthesia. The qestion is why would you want it under local. The results are best with the patient deeply sedated. Good luck.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck under local

In general, a tummy tuck is a fairly extensive operation that requires general anesthesia. There may be instances where people have a small deposit of extra tissue along the lower abdomen that may lend themselves amenable to a resection under local anesthetic, but any abdominal tightening procedure worth your investment will warrant general anesthesia. Be sure and consult a board certified plastic surgeon before undertaking any operation, but especially if you are being offered approaches that appear outside of the standard practices. Good luck!

Joseph Parks, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Local Anesthesia For a Tummy Tuck?

CAN local anesthesia be used for a tummy tuck? Yes. SHOULD local anesthesia be used for a tummy tuck? In most cases, no. To give you the best possible outcome while you are the most comfortable without taking a protracted amount of time to numb you, general anesthesia will likely be your best route. Most plastic surgeons, including myself, perform the tummy tuck procedure under general anesthesia. This is most likely the most expedient route. There are some plastic surgeons who perform a tummy tuck with local anesthesia AND sedation and do a great job. This may take a little longer than a tummy tuck with general anesthesia because even though you are sedated, you have to be numbed before each cut can be done. This takes more time than just putting you to sleep with general anesthesia. Using only local anesthesia, it will be quite difficult, if not near impossible, to make you comfortable and to complete all the necessary aspects that make a tummy tuck worthwhile - not only removing the excess skin and fat, but bringing your tummy muscles together with an internal corset also known as plication. Be wary of places that offer only local anesthesia. They are likely not accredited. Best of luck.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

General anesthesia safe and most comfortable for tummy tuck

Your experience will be safe and comfortable with general anesthesia for a tummy tuck. Trying to do it under local is riskier in both regards. Epidural is an option.

Richard Baxter, MD

Anesthesia for a Tummy Tuck

I like to perform tummy tucks under general anesthesia. I have had patients say they have been offered a tummy tuck under local anesthetic but what they would be getting isn't a classic full tummy tuck. The local anesthesia "tummy tuck" involved some liposuction of the upper abdomen with some skin removal from the lower abdomen. A full tummy tuck typically involves lifting the abdominal skin and fat up to the top of the abdomen, moving the belly button, repairing the separated rectus muscles and possibly additional liposuction. I think it would be very challenging to to all of these things under local anesthesia. 

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Tummy tuck anesthesia

I do not know of any surgeons that will perform a full tummy tuck under local only.  Some will use spinal anesthesia.I prefer general.  Best of luck.

General Anesthesia

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck is safely performed under general anesthesia. A special kind of tummy tuck that I perform is called a Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty and this procedure gives patients a flat tummy, and contoured waistline. You will need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations on your particular case. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS