Why Am I Still Getting Stiff when Trying to Get in & out of Bed After Mommy Make Over?

Hi! Im post op day 8 after mommy make over. I am still getting very stiff ,numb & tingly all over my body when laying on one side for too long also my lower extremeties hurt & get very hot specially when i lay down ,there is no redness or tenderness but i do see some swelling at the ankles( i walk very often) Its getting easier to get in to bed but getting out is a challenge. How long does this last? Should i ask for a muscle relaxant? Antinflamatory? Post op appt. In 2 days. Thank you.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients do notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest. Exercise itself will not help reduce this swelling.  If swelling manifests during your workout routine, you may benefit from use of compression garments.   But please check with your surgeon with respect to his/her specific recommendations.  Enjoy your results!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Recovery after mommy makeover

From your description, it seems like you are doing fairly well 8 days after surgery.  After tummy tuck, you have been in flexed position (bent over) for awhile; it is normal to feel stiff and tight.  You should try to stand straight up slowly.  The swelling on the ankles is normal.  You should continue to to walk every couple hours.  When you are not walking, your legs should be propped up.  You should take anti-inframmatory meds once you are cleared by your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Patients can feel sore and stiff for many weeks after a mommy makeover.

Having soreness at eight days is completely expected after the amount of surgery you gone through. This will get better over the ensuing weeks.

Still Stiff 8 Days out of Mommy Makeover Surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the mommy makeover surgery. Nothing in your description sounds too alarming;  patients and surgeons alike often underestimate the amount of recovery time necessary with these major operations.

Of course, your plastic surgeon after in-person examination, will be in the best position to advise you about the progress you are making and  will likely be able to provide you with meaningful reassurance. You are correct in that the use of anti-inflammatories and/or muscle relaxants may be helpful.

Patients undergoing these operations should also  understand that, besides the significant physical recovery associated with these operations, there may also be a significant emotional “ups and downs” experienced.

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Returning to Activity

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Stiffness following tummy tuck

It is entirely normal to be stiff and have burning and stinging sensations over your body. Swelling of the legs can be normal but could be a symptom of a blood clot. Talk to your PS to see what he recommends for these symptoms.