Best non-invasive (or invasive) procedure to treat fat on back of thighs to make behind appear larger?

I am a 31 yo mother one 1, 5"7, 165 lbs, size medium or 9/10, good muscle mass. I lead a clean lifestyle and I do heavy weight lifting and HIIT training several times a week while working in construction. I have a large behind, but it doesn't appear as large as it feels due to stubborn hamstring fat. I had to start wearing compression stockings for a varicose vein and it makes my butt huge! What is the best option to slim down the little bit of fat on back or legs and under butt?

Doctor Answers 5

Thigh liposuction to improve buttock definition

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

  • Liposuction under and around the buttock can give it definition and make it look larger.
  • An exam is needed -
  • Especially since it sounds as though varicose veins may be a factor.
  • If you have dilated veins in the upper thigh, treating them may work better than liposuction.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Liposuction of select areas can make the buttocks appear a bit larger. You would need to be seen in person to determine if you are a candidate.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Buttock reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Photos would be useful but, from your explanation, liposuction may be the procedure of choice.  See a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and make a specific, personalized recommendation. Congratulations on your excellent condition and health promoting activities.

Contouring the hamstrings

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the sounds of it you are very muscular and active- its best to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist to measure the real fat mass in that area. It might be you need to adjust your weight training routine since you might be experiencing muscle hypertrophy and water retention. In addition shockwave therapy in that area may help lymphatic drainage and aid circulation that would benefit the vascular issues you are experiencing. If you are indeed suffering from localized fat pockets, cryolipolysis or sculpture are fast non-invasive treatments for fat reduction.

Neil Sadick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Non- invasive Fat Reduction.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many different treatment methods today that can help improve your body contour without surgery. Sculpsure, cool sculpting and vanquish, to name a few, have been used to treat localized areas of fat with varying success. I personally use Sculpsure in my practice because I find it gives the best results in the least amount of time. However, liposuction is still the gold standard for body contouring of areas with localized fat. This does require small incisions to be made and there is some recovery period. A compression garment also needs to be worn post operatively for several weeks.  You should make a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see which procedure is appropriate for you. I hope this has helped you and best of luck. 

Kenneth A. Godwin, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.