Can I have Botox at one clinic then go to a different one to get more? (Photo)

I know you can't have lip filler done by a different nurse/clinic until after 6 months, wondering if it was possible to do it with botox though before 6 months as my nurse is away for a couple of weeks

For consistent results, it's better to stay with one provider for Botox®, but new techniques can be learned from a new provider

Thank you for your question. You submitted a question without a photo, stating you know you can’t get a lip filler beyond 6 months from one clinic to another, but you ask if you can get Botox® from a different practitioner because your provider is going to be away during a time you would typically go.

I can give you my thoughts about this type of question. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I’ve been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years, and I’ve been administering Botox® and fillers since almost the beginning, particularly Botox® because our specialty oculofacial plastic surgery is one of the  first to use Botox®for facial spasms and ocular indications.

I think that it is very important to understand these procedures are not generic. Although the companies that sell these products, whether it is an injectable filler or a neurotoxin or lasers promote the names of these products, the products are only as good as the practitioner who performs the procedure. The question is, can someone else who doesn’t know you do an equally good job as the person who you’ve been going to? That’s difficult to say. I think that in this very open access world of aesthetics, consumers have tremendous opportunity to search for people who work ideally for what they want, and ultimately should look for someone to provide them with consistent results.

People sometimes come to us because they are here in New York on vacation, and they missed their Botox® appointments somewhere else, so they want to get some Botox® while they were here in the city which is fine. For certain areas, going to an experienced practitioner can make a good assessment, whether it is for crow’s feet lines, frown lines, forehead lines, etc. The doctor looks at the muscle activity, then doses according to their best judgment. That said, I think if you can find somebody you feel comfortable with, then maybe advise them to be more conservative so you don’t get more than you need, which will likely be safe. It is important you feel comfortable, but I remind you it is best to be conservative and go for the practitioner you feel comfortable with, and you are getting the results you want.

There is a wide range of expertise and experience among practitioners with neurotoxins and injectable fillers. Sometimes when people come to us, say for fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane, the approach and technique are sometimes things they have not experienced before. It is something, without disparaging colleagues, of an opportunity to learn about other things your practitioner currently doesn’t do or hasn’t discussed with you. An educational opportunity is always there, but I emphasize you go to physicians who are highly experienced and you feel comfortable with. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It’s safe to get BOTOX® from a licensed, experienced injector every 3 to 4 months.

There’s no rule stating that you must receive BOTOX® from the same practitioner each time, so if your regular injector is not available when you’d like your BOTOX® treatment, you should be able to get an injection elsewhere. BOTOX® typically lasts between 3 to 4 months before a new injection is needed, as its lifespan is slightly less than that of dermal fillers. Wherever you get your BOTOX®, make sure that your injector is licensed and experienced in order to obtain safe, optimal results.

Botox

Thank you for your question. You are free to have your Botox injected in any office.  It is important to have your Botox injected in an office where a board certified plastic surgeon over sees the treatments to make sure that you achieve maximum benefits. Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox done by another injector

Thank you for your question Chaz001. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. A person can go to any office at their will. Often times we add more Botox or fillers as early as two weeks after an initial treatment. Many people see different injectors; and this is common when their primary injector is unavailable. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Botox done by another injector

Different injectors

Hello and thank you for your question. You have the freedom to go to any clinic or injector you chose. You may not get the same outcome and the technique may be different than your previous injector. Good luck!

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Different injectors

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Time between treatments

You can go to whoever you want to get Botox or Fillers.  If you think you need more, or are unhappy with the results of your treatment, you should definitely get another opinion.  I think the nurse who told you that you aren't allowed to see someone else was worried about losing business and not your results.

Time between treatments

Botox

Yes, you can go to different injectors for your Botox as well as your fillers.  Visit with an experienced injector in your area for a consultation first if you are uncomfortable.

Botox

Botox timing

Hello, and thanks for your question. You can absolutely go to a different provider.  Botox generally lasts 3-4 months, but it is fine to wait until 6 months between injections if that's what you prefer. I recommend getting treated by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.

Botox timing

Botox

BOTOX lasts approximately 3 months.  It is generally ok to have it again after 3 months time has passed.

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox with different injectors

You can have botox with another injector no problem.  As well as you can do your lip filler with another injector. 

Botox with different injectors