6 weeks post Neck and Facelift, still have large soft lumps under my chin and irregular tight skin around neck. Advice? (photos)

Can somone advise me please as my surgeon saw me two weeks post opp but did not examine me, he sat behind his desk and told me to massage under my chin firmly, and does not want to see me until three months post opp. I still have large soft lumps under my chin and irregulat tight skin around my neck. Chin looks FAR worse than prior to opp. Neck feels as though i have a woolly scarf wrapped around it. Saw another surgeon within same practice as mine was unavailable but he was VERY non commital.

Post op swelling in neck/under jaw area

It is not uncommon to experience swelling in the neck/under chin area. It should go down with time unless it is from fluid build up which can only be determined with an in person exam. I find your surgeon's lack of attention troubling. Call his office and request to be assessed in person. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Swollen under neck after face and neck lift

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift.

• You do have a lot of swelling under your neck.
  • This can happen -the question is what is it?
  • If it is post-surgery swelling, it will go down.
  • If it is from sutures in the platysma muscle, as they absorb it should go down.
  • If it is distortion from a Giampappa suture (internal suture across the neck), it should go down but if I were your surgeon at this point I'd consider cutting it loose.
  • If it is free fluid (a seroma) or left over from a hematoma (blood clot) it will not subside without treatment.
  • Can you ask your surgeon what was done, what he think is causing this swelling and ask him to order an ultrasound to see if this is fluid? that will help him either reassure you or take further steps.
  • Even if it is 'just' swelling, I would still try injecting a tiny, tiny amount of steroid to try to get this to subside. . 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Problems after facelift

I find it a little disconcerting that your surgeon is not taking your concerns seriously. I'd recommend that you see him again soon so that an explanation and treatment can be discussed. I personally inject dilute steroid into anything that is firm, and this usually helps things feel and look better quickly.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fluid?

The fullness in the neck may represent swelling or fluid. If it is swelling, this often gets better with time. If fluid, then it may need to be aspirated.

Healing and Recovery From Your Facelift

First and foremost, its best to remain patient. It is still early in to your recovery. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Facelift

Thank you for your question. You are still healing from the necklift and should continue to see improvement with the lumps and the overall aesthetics of your neck. Please demand to see your facial plastic surgeon for an in-person examination. It is unprofessional and disingenuous for your surgeon to refuse an appointment. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

At 6 weeks this swelling will improve.

Please do not worry. As edema travels down face it often stays in the area you describe. 

Try keeping your head a little elevated and ask your plastic surgeon if you can do some light massage. 

It should definitely get better during the next several months. 

Elizabeth Fox, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Thick scar six weeks after tell me tuck.

When I see this, I find a few things very useful. First is to take a washcloth and run it under hot water. Wring it out and put it under your neck until it cools. This  should soften the scar tissue, and allow you to massage. When you do, make sure you stroke away from any cuts. 

Next, you might consider going online and buying a therapeutic ultrasound machine. They cost around $200. I find the deep heating of this machine is also useful in hastening the remodeling of this thick scar tissue.

Third, I sometimes prescribed Singulair. This is a drug that makes scar tissue soft. 

Finally, I will inject thick heavy score at this stage on occasion with a combination of Kenalog and 5FU. 

I hope this helps. Stay in close touch with your doctor. 

Robert K. Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon