Will my nose drop back to normal after columnella surgery? (photos)

Five days ago I had a tiny amount removed from the columnella and it was stitched to help push the tip up slightly because it had dropped after a previous rhinoplasty. I look like a pig and I am regretting this decision even though he advised me to have this. Will my nose drop back down? It has made my lip look stiff and My face look really long.

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. At this point, it is hard to determine whether the appearance is due to swelling or not. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD