I had labia surgery to correct an enlarged labia and have a small problem. Please help!

Hello , I had labia surgery to correct an enlarged labia minora three years ago . One side is perfect whilst the other has turned inwards due to the amount of swelling on that particular side . It now appears that there is no labia there because it's pulled inwards thus loosing the crease . I know the skin is still there but pulling inwards and in a wrong position . I wondered if Labia clamps for stretching would ease it out slightly ? Or is there a procedure that could help do that ? Please help !

Photos would be helpful

Dear Ms Wright:

Before pursuing please do you due diligence.  As you probably figured out surgeons are not created equal.  Just because a surgeon is board certified doesn't mean he/she is a great cosmetic vaginal / labia surgeon.  Choose a surgeon who a portion of his/her site dedicated to botched labiaplasties.  I have performed dozens of revision labiaplasties on botched labias in the past.  I agree with others on this post it may not be the labia that needs to be revised per se but instead the scar tissue pulling on the labia  then again it might be the labia was treated too aggressively .  Your next surgery is going to be the best chance for restoration.  Choose  your surgeon wisely and do not let costs, travel or convenience dictate your decision.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Labiaplasty issue

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Your present dissatisfaction may be due to swelling or the specifics of the wedge technique used by your surgeon.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Not a simple issue

You really need an in-office exam by an experienced labiaplasty surgeon to figure your options here. You might just have been over-resected (too much taken away.) 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Post a photo for specific comments about your options

The prospects for successful correction of your problem depend upon what the area looks like. A photo would give more info.

Labiaplasty problem

From what you describe, there may have been slightly more tissue excised from one side.   This is typically not a functional problem, as asymmetries are very common. If the asymmetry is more severe or the resection took the complete labia, that can be problematic. My advice would be to follow up with  your surgeon to discuss your options. If you are uncomfortable or unable to return to your surgeon, I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with revision labiaplasty procedures. These can be quite complicated at times. I would not recommend any home remedies. Best wishes to you! 

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Issues

Thank you for your question.  It is challenging to answer your question without photographs.  I would recommend evaluation by an experienced reconstructive cosmetic genital surgeon even if that requires traveling.   

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

I had labia surgery to correct an enlarged labia and have a small problem. Please help

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without a full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice and I would return to your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Swelling should not have caused an infolding as those tissues are soft and pliable, and it would be more common that either a suturing, scarring, or resection issue has taken place.  Hope this helps.

Why am I having issues after labiaplasty?

Sorry you are having problems.  I hope your results now are better when you started.  It sounds like you have some scarring on the one side that is retracting your labia.  Photos would help in order to be more specific.  Likely you will need a revision to make things better.  This should not be as uncomfortable as your original surgery but you will still need to decrease activity and refrain from sexual activity.  Send some photos for a more specific response.  Good luck!