is my doctor responsible for juvaderm loss after one month or is Juvederm responsible?

after one month 1ml of juvaderm under my eyes has disappeared. My doctor said it is not his fault and I should contact Juvaderm for a refund.

Juvederm results

Thank you for your question flyonthesink. Juvederm is a dermal filler used to enhance facial feature. For the tear troughs I find Restylane provides a better result, but many doctors use Juvederm here. It is important to have realistic expectations when having any treatment. This includes knowing how long it lasts, which is always a general range. Some people enjoy their results longer than others. It is important to also take high quality standardized photographs before and after the treatment to assess results. Often times there is swelling in the area for up to two weeks (or sometimes longer), which can provide a desirable appearance. Once the swelling subsides the final results are seen. Sometimes it seems like the results did not last when this happens. But one can tell by using high quality photographs before and after a treatment. Refund policies vary from office to office. In our office our consent forms state that there is no guarantee of desired results. We go through this with patients before their treatments. After this, some patients choose not to do a treatment, which is actually a good thing because they never feel like they are wasting their money. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Juvederm Under Eyes

Juvederm cannot dissolve after a month.  It is possible that the swelling from the injection dissipated and you may need more filler or a different filler. I prefer Restylane and Belotero for these under eyes injections. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

I would doubt that  the juvederm would dissappear after one month. Perhaps you saw swelling initially and thought that was the final result?  But after a week or two, sometimes around the eyes the initial swelling stays around a bit more and what you see at one month is a resolution of the swelling. Perhaps you need more filler?

Is my doctor responsible for juvaderm loss after one month or is Juvederm responsible?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your disappointment following Juvederm injections.  Unfortunately there is some unpredictability with duration of effects with filler placement and until you have had it done once to see how your body metabolizes it it is neither your doctor or juvederms fault.  If you would want to try again seek another injector to see if a different filler or injection technique improves your results.  Hope this helps.

Juvederm Metabolism

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, it is difficult to predict how long a product will stay in the face once placed. On average, depending on where it is placed, Juvederm should last approximately 6-9 months. However, there are some people who are simply fast metabolizers and for some reason the product goes away in literally half or a quarter of the time. It isn't your injector's fault - you can contact Juvederm and let them know your concerns and go from there. In the future, you may want to use a product that has a higher amount of cross-linking - this is a feature that is added to the product to make it last longer. Products like Voluma or Restylane Lyft have more cross-linking, and tend to last longer. Or, you can try a different type of injectable all together, like Radiesse - which is not comprised of collagen. Best of luck! 

How long Juvederm stays is not in the hands of your doctor. The company puts the filler on the market and generally states it stays for 6 months. All of us have seen it stay two weeks in the lips or years in other areas. Your body metabolizes the material faster than usual.