My pubic area is swollen! Why?

I had liposuction on my stomach and arms done 5 weeks ago and I feel like I look the same. I still feel my skin is very sensitive and when I stretch at the gym it hurts. My pubic area is very swollen it was never swollen before. Will I get any better? I wanted a small waist and it doesn't seem like I'm getting the results I wanted.

Sore and swollen 5 weeks after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction

Liposuction causes swelling that lasts at least 6 months so it is too early to judge your result. Swelling can move into the pubic area after liposuction but will in time subside. I suggest you see your surgeon in a week to be checked to be sure all is healing well.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Hello, thank you for the question.  Although you are 5 weeks out and feeling much better than right after your surgery, your body is still in a healing phase from surgery.  It is common to have swelling for months after surgery, and it may come and go depending on your activity, diet, etc.  The swelling and/or bruising also tends to migrate downwards with gravity and the pubic area may be the last area to resolve.  Skin sensitivity, itching, "pin pricks" and burning sensation are also common due to restoration of the nerves to the skin.  I recommend that you continue to see your surgeon and follow any recommendations they may have for you.  Have a blessed day!

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information aas well. It is very common to have swelling of the pubic area after liposuction of the abdomen. In fact, this swelling often gets worse at about 3-4 weeks after surgery as the swelling from the upper abdomen sinks down to the pubic area. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD