My vagina lips hang down and I really want to know if that is normal? If its not, what can I use?

Enlarged labia

Every women varies in size of labia minor a.  Some are tiny and others large.  But all are considered "normal."  However, if the tissue is causing you discomfort, you need to seek an evaluation in person so your concerns can be addressed. 

Large labia

If you dislike your labial size, a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Elongated Labia

You would benefit from an evaluation to ensure your anatomy falls  within the normal range.
Normal labial anatomy varies in women much like other areas of the face and body.
Some women have very short labia minora and others longer and thicker tissues, all of which are
normal variants.
If the longer and thicker tissues cause discomfort or are aesthetically unpleasant to you, you may
consider labiaplasty surgery to "tuck" the tissues.

It is important to consult an experienced, board certified Plastic Surgeon who has the expertise to
provide you with the best options and treatments, as this is a relatively new area.
Vaginal rejuvenation includes not only labiaplasty, but also labia majora tuck, fat grafting to the deflated
labia and other internal procedures.

Regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi
Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Reduction of the labia minor and clitoral prepuce

Redundant clitoral skin is abnormal if it affects your ability to achieve orgasm. Redundant labial skin is abnormal if it disrupts your ability to exercise comfortably, gets in the way during sex, and gets in the way of wearing clothing around the genital area. Both excess skin of the labia minora and clitoral prepuce are abnormal if they affect sexuality. 

Labiaplasty indication?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy) and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.
Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years. Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation. Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry". Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result. Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible. Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia. To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best. It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week). It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible. Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome. Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly. Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there. Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation. No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks. My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Is it normal for may vaginal lips to hang down and what can I do about it?

Dear Babygal 55,

Thank you for writing in about your concerns. When girls go through puberty, estrogen stimulates the breasts and the labia to develop. They can enlarge, become uneven and change color. The labia can become rubbed and uncomfortable during activities, exercise, sexual activity and with wearing certain clothing. They can cause problems with hygiene and placing tampons. Many women feel embarrassed and/or self-conscious because of the extra tissue.  If they don't bother you, then there is nothing more you need to do.

There are two categories of labia reduction procedures...those that trim the edges (the traditional method) and the edge-preserving procedures (the various wedges--central, inferior being the most common two). In the hands of a highly trained cosmetic gynecologist or plastic surgeon, either method will provide you with excellent results if you desire a labia reduction.  There is no magic cream or potion to shrink the inner lips.

Having done over 700 labiaplasty procedures, I recommend you have a consultation with an exam, review lots of before and after pictures and discuss the risks and complications of both types of procedures to help you make the best decision for yourself. Your anatomy and what you desire are what determines which procedure to choose.

To read more about labiaplasty, please visit the link below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Labial size

Some prominence of the labia is normal. If you are concerned you need to see a surgeon that specializes in labial reconstruction.  Treatments are either a minor surgery or office-based thermal(heat) treatments depending on how big a change you desire. 

Nathan Guerette, MD, FACOG
Richmond Urogynecologist

Are long labia normal?

Long labia are totally normal. Whether or not you like the appearance or feel of long labia is a separate issue. Labiaplasty is the standard procedure for shortening the labia. Sometimes the clitoral hood skin is elongated as well and needs to be treated at the same time for a complete aesthetic effect.