What is the difference between Juvederm and Restylane?

I am doing research and considering lip augmentation. I really would like to know specially the differences, pros and cons between the two types of products? What are you experiences, preference and why? Thank you!! - Justina

Juvederm and Restylane

Thank you for this is very good question. Both Restylane and Juvederm (as well as Belotero and several others) are hyaluronic fillers. Within the Juvederm line there is Ultra and Ultra plus  and Volume. Within the Restylane line there is Restylane, Silk and Lyft. They all have slightly different characteristics as some are thinner or thicker and some attract water more than others. Your best bet is to go to an experienced injector and ask their advice. Most better injectors offer several types of fillers and will offer the one that is best suited for that individual.

Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hello, and thank you for the question. Restylane and Juvederm are very similar, as they are both hyaluronic acid fillers. The Juvederm is not as thick as Restylane and does not add as much bulk. Because Juvederm is very soft, it is a great choice for the lips and temples. Restylane is great for the lower eyes, nasolabial folds, and marionette lines.  When having treatment with filler, I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist; each is a fantastic choice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

What's the difference between Restylane and Juvederm?

Thank you for the good question. The products are extremely similar in what they are made from, how they function and how they are used. The main difference is that only Restylane should be injected into the tear troughs due to the risk of developing a blue hue to the skin. See an experienced injector for your treatments.
Good luck,

Juvederm vs Restylane

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

Short version: the difference is like that between Coke and Pepsi. Both are great lines of products that can be used for various indications. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Hi JJagdhar,

I've worked very closely with both of these products, and I would have to say it comes down to the person and the injector. Some patients get the best results with juvederm and some patients really like restylane. In my experience I'm seen juvederm last a little longer than restylane in the lips but that can vary from patient to patient. The products themselves have different variations in the way they are formulated, in most cases I find that the juvederm does pull in more water and the restylane seems to feel a little bit more softer, and less likely to feel the product in the lips. Consult an experienced injector who can show you some of their before and afters, best of luck. 

HA products

Like Coke and Pepsi.  Different flavors but can produce the same result. Best of luck with  your procedure. 

What Is The Difference Between Juvederm And Restylane

Thank you for your excellent question.  Both Juvederm and Restylane are hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers.  Both products can be used to achieve a very nice result in correcting age-related facial volume loss.  The main difference is that Restylane is slightly thicker than Juvederm.  I find that the incidence of unwanted postprocedure fullness is slightly less with Juvederm.  Unwanted postprocedure fullness is a rare, but known, potential complication with any filler injection.  Juvederm also tends to last slightly longer than Restylane, with results lasting up to one year.  For these reasons, in general, my preference is Juvederm.  There are also different formulations of Juvederm, which vary in thickness based on the anatomical region of the face for which correction is desired.  In general, Juvederm is my preference for the lips.  I would advise you to see an experienced injector for an in-person consultation to discuss your goals and expectations for your lips and to help you determine which product can best accomplish your goals.  Best wishes! 

Juvederm versus Restylane

Juvederm and Restylane are both hyaluronic acid fillers.  There are different types of each within those categories and are mostly based on how much volume they provide and where in the face they should be injected.  Please consult an experienced injector for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm

Thank you for your question in regards to Juvederm. Both products have similarities such as:

• Both products are safe and effective
  • Cost per syringe
  • Both are made of hyaluronic acid, which is a normal component of your skin's matrix. That is why, unlike some other collagen based products, allergy testing is not needed. Because of this you can be treated on the same day as your consultation.
  • Both products tend to be smooth and plane out after injection.
Although Restylane typically lasts 6-9 months, Juvederm often lasts 9-12 months and has FDA labeling saying that it "may last up to 12 months." To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS