Other names for high-SMAS facelift?

Hello, is "extended smas facelift" same with "high-smas facelift" ? Or deep plane and high-smas same techniques? Is there any other term for high-smas facelift? I am not able to find surgeons performing high-smas technique. Thank you

Other names for high-SMAS facelift?

The "High-SMAS" facelift is a specific deep plane technique recognized by many leaders in the field as the gold standard for facelift techniques.  The techniques is performed by a select group of surgeons because the techniques takes longer to perform and more intensive knowledge of facial anatomy.  The technique is safe and provides incredible, natural results that stand the test of time.  A surgeon, such as myself,  who performs the "High-SMAS technique" would not call it an extended smas facelift.  

The attached link provides more information.

High SMAS Facelift Is Gold Standard

Thank you for your question. I am not aware of other names for the High SMAS facelift, though many practitioners develop variations on the techniques involved and may change the nomenclature. High SMAS is a deep plane facelift that should be performed by a board-certified facial plastic surgeon with years of expertise and training in facial aesthetics and anatomy. High SMAS means that the we begin the border of SMAS flap closer to the top of the cheekbone than in traditional facelifts. This allows us to lift the cheek and lower eyes, which usually are not affected by a facelift. I hope this helps.

High SMAS

A high SMAS specifically means that the upper border of the SMAS flap is started higher, closer to the upper edge of the cheek bone which allows for some lifting of the cheek and lower eyelid.  A low SMAS flap will just affect the area around the mouth and jowl and not include the cheek.  Deep plan and extended SMAS are more descriptive terms that are used to mean different things by different surgeons and are not synonymous with high SMAS flap.

Dino R. Elyassnia, MD

High SMAS

There are no other terms for this technique.  I agree that this is very desirable technique for facelifting and you should assertain from the surgeons you visit that they in fact perform it regardless of the terms they use to describe their own techniques.  

Other names for high-SMAS facelift?

Hi, I have performed many SMAS facelifts for over 30 years.  New names come out all the time and often have little to do with the "goals" of the facelift.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).   The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
  I combine whatever facial shaping that's necessary with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

SMAS face lift - what is it exactly?

Thank you for your question about your SMAS face lift.

• It's confusing because there are no formal definitions for these terms.
  • A high SMAS lift (to me) means lifting the SMAS as high on the cheek as possible.
  • An extended SMAS lift can mean the same thing - or it can mean extending it into the neck to lift the plastysma.
  • Rather than looking for a specific technique - what about finding an experienced plastic surgeon and having a consultation, showing the area of concern for you.
  • An experienced plastic surgeon can do all these lifts - since faces are different and different techniques are needed.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Smas terminology

Unfortunately there is not a lot of uniformity in facelift terminology. 
High smas and extended smas likely are referring to the same type of smas flap.  Deep plane does involve the smas but is generally considered different than a high smas.
This is a real fine point.
Both involve a dissection of the smas but with a hight smas more skin is elevated with a deep plane much less skin is.  Thet are both good.  I prefer the hight smas as descrived by bruce Connell / tim marten etc.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

SMAS Facelift techniques

High SMAS means you preform a SMAS dissection up to the zygomatic arch, and this is not recomended since the Facial nerve that moves the muscles of your forehead and eyes is very superficial in this area, and it could be damaged. The extended SMAS Facelift does an extended dissection that could also damage this nerve is his infeior branches. Thats why I recomend you a regular SMAS Facelift, wich I preform, and I guarantee you at least a 15-20 year rejuvenation of your face and neck.

Luis Pedroza, MD
Colombia Facial Plastic Surgeon

High SMAS facelift

High SMAS is defined as a SMAS dissection up to or at the zygomatic arch.  There are also supra-zygomatic SMAS dissections, which I perform,  which are effective in restoring volume to the orbital rim area. Although "high" and "extended" are descriptive what are they high and extended relative to needs defining. Anatomic descriptions therefore  are more precise, but may also be misleading. 

Other Names for High-SMAS Facelift?

Facelift terminology can be very confusing to patients because there are really no standardized terms and different surgeons may mean different things even when they are using the same term for the operation. An "extended SMAS facelift" is probably similar to a "high-SMAS facelift" but you will have to ask each surgeon about the specifics of the procedure. A "deep plane" facelift has some differences from these SMAS techniques. Either of those procedures would also be different from a "smasectomy" or "smas plication" procedure because those are lesser manipulations of the SMAS tissue layer. In general, the high or extended SMAS techniques do a better job of correcting the mid-face but they also take longer because there is more surgical dissection and manipulation required to mobilize and reposition the SMAS tissues. And then you have the various "mini" facelift procedures in which there is little or no manipulation of the SMAS layer.

There is debate within the plastic surgery community as to whether any specific technique delivers superior results. What all this means is that no one has come up with a distinct facelifting procedure which consistently delivers the best results across all patients and all surgeons. When you think about it though, it makes sense that there is no one size fits all facelift operation. There is huge variability across patients so the technique should adjusted to each patient specific needs. The best advice I can offer is to find a surgeon with good credentials and reputation, and who has extensive facelift experience and can show you many results that you find pleasing.