Do textured implants need to be massaged? Can I ice my breasts to help reduce swelling?

I have round submuscular implants that are textured and the dr said I don't need to massage them. I would also love to ice them but then dr. Said Not to. I'm taking acetaminophen to offset the pain meds as I read this is better than ibuprofen?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Massages

Thank you for your question.  You need to follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeons post operative protocol.  Every surgeon has different after care for each procedure.  At our office we do not have our patients massage the textured implants.  Call your surgeon to discuss their care in further detail.  

First, follow your surgeon's instructions as they know what works best for their patients.  Ice can be beneficial in the first few days, but the decrease in swelling is highly variable after breast augmentation.  Over time I expect that your surgeon will have you doing some massage exercises, but don't start until directed to do so, in my opinion.  Best of luck,

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Wirth Plastic Surgery

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

I do not recommend massaging or icing, but your surgeon may have different recommendations.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Massage of textured implants and post op icing

Hi. I agree with your doctor. To be fair, your doctor knows better than anyone else what to advise you - after all, he / she  did your surgery. My advice is to be guided by their advice.

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon