Will gap between lesson after breast surgery? (Photo)

I am only 24 hours out of BA. Very early, I understand. One breast beforehand was slightly asymmetric which is expected of human body. I don't believe I had a wide gap and surgeon never commented on it. I had tear drop 400cc in one and 380cc or so in the other. I am very petite. I realise this could be swelling, or is what I see, what will stay?

Will gap between breasts become less after breast surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.   

Some general thoughts regarding "cleavage concerns" may be helpful to you and other young ladies considering breast surgery:

Patients undergoing breast augmentation should understand that their anatomical “starting point” will play a significant "role" in the outcome that they can expect with breast augmentation surgery.   If the patient starts out with a significant distance between the breasts, there are limits as to how close of "cleavage" can be achieved.  If over dissection (when developing breast implant pocket) occurs in the cleavage area, with the goal being to achieve as close as possible cleavage per patient's request, patients may experience significant problems such as breast implant displacement (medial  malposition or symmastia) and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.  Obviously, these types of problems may require revisionary breast surgery to correct.  

Also, keep in mind, that each nipple/areola complex must remain centered on each breast mound after surgery.  Again, careful dissection of the breast implant pocket and appropriate selection of breast implant size/width/profile will also play a role when it comes to how close the cleavage area will be postoperatively (and the overall shape/symmetry of the breasts). Careful measurement/dimensional planning plays a big role in this regard.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long term.

Too early post op

Thanks for the question.

Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

You are very early so it's too soon to make definitive statements.  But, some ladies have very widely spaced  breasts on the chest.  By your picture, I don't think it's going to be a problem for you.  The implants have to be centered on the nipple.  To help with a widely spaced breast situation, the only option we have are wide implants.  The only way to get very wide implants is to put large implants in place--ie, the bigger the implants, the wider they are.  So, you may not want a very big implant because it will make you a bigger cup size than you want.  Everything is a trade-off.  Hang in there for now, I bet in the long run you will be happy.  Good luck.

Virgil Willard, MD
High Point Plastic Surgeon

Will gap between lesson after breast implant surgery?

Congratulations on your breast augmentation.  Your very early after surgery and your breast will continue to drop and look much more natural over the next 3 months.  Vascular plastic surgeon when you may start breast implant displacement exercises.  If her implants are placed under the muscle the width of your breastbone will determine the distance between the 2 breasts.  However I find that breast implant displacement exercises especially medially can be helpful but should not be started in therapy or plastic surgeon says for you to do this.