Under eyelid CO2 fractional laser; should the fluence be like 20 or 25mJ?

I've had several full-face CO2 fractional treatment (parameter: 35mJ) due to acne scars, but the area around my eyes was not treated. This time, I want the same treatment, but only on my under eyelids for the laxity issue. 1) Is it safe to treat the skin right under the eye aperture, just below the part where under eyelashes grow? No possible damage to my eyes? 2) If the parameter for cheeks were 35mJ, should it be less of fluence for the eyelid? should the fluence be like 20 or 25mJ?

Skin thickness and fluence

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

The skin of the eyelids is very thin compared to the rest of the face. lesser energy levels should be used to prevent complications in that area. 1-2 mm from the eyelashes is the closest that I like to go. The laser it self may cut the hair if it is in the way between the source and the skin. if protected with eye lead shields the eyes should be ok.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Thanks for your query. It might affect your eyes if you go that close to the eyes. It is advisable to look for other possible treatments available for the same. If that is unavoidable then you can use a shield for the same. You can send in your picture for better assessment or you can visit your dermatologist for the same. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon