Does little to no bruising after breast augmentation mean I did not bleed a lot during surgery?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, actually every patient is different, some heal faster than others, not having  bruises does not mean you bled a lot surgery.

Little to no bruising

Yes, that's a good thing to have little or no bruising.  Sometimes, this can vary from patient to patient, depending on skin thickness or vascularity, but in general, it's a good sign to have less bruising - your recovery will likely be faster!

Christopher C. Chang, MD 

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

No burising after breast augmentation

Our goal is to have as little bruising as possible, so if you bled very little during surgery you are less likely to have bruising after surgery.  Rapid recovery breast augmentation is what I aim for and it is explained in the attached video.  Congrats on your breast augmentation. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Most surgeons try very hard to eliminate bleeding during breast augmentation surgery.  This is because presence of blood in the pocket can increase the chances of capsular contracture.  Bruising in fact is uncommon after breast augmentation but rarely occurs.  If you have no bruising that is a good sign that you had little bleeding during surgery.

Little To No Bruising After BA

Thanks for your question! Yes, little to no bruising means that you probably experienced little blessing during surgery, although internal breast bleeding would show itself as a hematoma, in which case one (or rarely both) of your breasts would be quite larger, asymmetrical, and very painful. Best of luck to you in your recovery!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

A bruise is a result of bleeding

If you don't have any bruising it means you did not have any bleeding. However, if you have some bruising that is of no consequence and can definitely happen and you would still get an excellent result.

the only problem, is when one breast is much larger which could indicate a hematoma.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Post breast augmentation

It is great that you have a little bruising after your surgery.  While it is difficult to say exactly how much you bled  during the surgery your surgeon did a good job in controlling any bleeding prior to completing the surgery.  Certainly the less the bleeding that occurred the less bruising you will have.

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

Bruising correlates with bleeding during and after surgery

Hi bellelewis1. There is a good correlation, but know that you can be too active and have a small bleed that can create a new bruise later on (usually this is possible for several weeks after surgery). Be sure to follow your surgeon's postoperative instructions so that you can continue to heal well.  Enjoy your new look!

Yes, you are correct.   The goal is to keep bleeding to a minimum to avoid bruising and swelling.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Bleeding with breast augmentation surgery?

Yes, there is likely a good correlation.  Generally, breast augmentation can be done with very little bleeding, leading to minimal bruising. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.