Do Breast Implants look incredibly different once they "drop" ? (photos)

I had my surgery done a few days ago and I'm in love with my result to the extent I wish they could stay like this. When they "drop" do they appear smaller? Do they lose the upper fullness? 375cc and 400cc on very petite body. 5'5, 90 pounds.

Do Breast Implants look incredibly different once they "drop" ?

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your surgery.  You have an excellent result  and I do not expect and "incredible" difference once her implants drop.  You do have some swelling from surgery once the implants drop they will look more natural.  Please try to relax and enjoy what looks like an excellent result.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Although I would expect some changes to occur over the next several months, I would not expect "incredible changes".

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Give it time

They should get softer, smaller and drop more with time.  The only thing to do for now is wait at least 4 to 6 months to see if your happy with the size and how much they drop.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Breast implant healing

You will have more fullness early on, and as the swelling subsides and the implants settle, you will lose some of the upper fullness. It is generally not an incredible difference though.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon