For breast augmentation surgery I want a doctor trained well in that procedure. Which terms in their bios are most important?

The doctor I'm looking at online says that after med school and a general internship, he did residency training in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, then did a cosmetic surgery fellowship program (American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery) where he focused on procedures of the breast and body. When it comes to credentials, are those the types of things I should look for and would those suggest a well trained doctor for my procedure? Thank you!

For breast augmentation surgery

Surgical training is very different for the different surgical specialties. If someone is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, that means he is specifically trained in 8 different components of Plastic Surgery, and Breast Surgery is a huge component of that. He is specifically trained in all aspects of Breast Surgery: 1) Breast Augmentation, 2)Breast Reduction, 3)Breast Reconstruction with implants, flaps, tissue expanders and fat transfer to the breast, 4) Breast Lifting.

Finding the right surgeon.

This is a great question.  You most definitely want to find a board certified plastic surgeon, certified with the ASPS - American Society of Plastic Surgery.  Also find someone with extensive experience with breast augmentation.  Third you will want to meet with a couple different surgeons to find out which doctor you feel most comfortable with.

If you would like more advise and resources in finding the right surgeon for you I have a Breast Augmentation Planner.   I think this would be perfect for you in helping you find the right doctor as well as educate you more on the procedure as well.  You can download a free copy of this planner at

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Board Certification

Choose a surgeon with extensive breast augmentation experience AND who is Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are a lot of them locally in the Salt Lake valley. As mentioned in one of the other posts, it is crucial for your safety that a surgeon has the hospital privileges to perform your surgery in a hospital---it might be exceedingly rare for something to happen, but you want to know that your surgeon has the right credentials to do your surgery both in his office, as well as in a hospital setting.

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Credentials of breast surgeons

Thank you for your question. Academy of cosmetic surgery is NOT among the 24 boards of recognized American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)
Do a search to see what ABMS is. American Board of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) is among the 24 boards of ABMS. This criteria is probably the most important one for your selection of a good plastic surgeon. Remember, any doctor can call himself a plastic surgeon and claim himself "board certified" even the board is not a ABMS board. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.And also look at there before and afters.Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of breast augmentation and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

For breast augmentation surgery I want a doctor trained well in that procedure.

Thank you for the question. It is an important one: selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make when it comes to achieving an outcome that you will be pleased with.
Generally I suggest that patients start with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.
***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Ultimately it will be important that you feel comfortable that your plastic surgeon have a significant/demonstrable experience consistently achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. 
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
 I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Board Certification

Undergoing plastic surgery is a huge and possibly life-altering decision. Doing your homework before choosing a surgeon is an important first step to making an informed and safe decision about any cosmetic procedure you may be interested in. One way to do this is by being sure to choose a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Of course, you might be wondering: What does board-certification mean and why does it matter?

There are many valid medical boards in the United States, but surprisingly a doctor doesn’t have to belong to any of them in order to offer cosmetic procedures. Certification by a board means that a physician is recognized as having expertise in a particular specialty.

But here’s where it gets even more complicated: Even if a doctor does belong to a legitimate board, that still doesn’t mean they’re qualified to perform any sort of cosmetic procedure. Specialty boards range from Family Medicine to Psychiatry. A doctor might be extremely experienced in one field, but have no experience performing plastic surgery. In the United States, what you're looking for are physicians who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Studies have analyzed tens of thousands of patient reviews across hundreds of procedures, and the results are incredibly clear: The most reliable outcomes and highest degrees of satisfaction happen when people are in the hands of physicians who have proven experience in the field.

What’s scary is that the law doesn’t protect patients from doctors who don’t have the proper training, so it’s up to you to do your homework. There is a rising trend of “cosmetic doctors,” for example: Dentists can legally perform liposuction, gynecologists can do breast augmentation, and even psychologists are offering Botox! The problem’s only getting worse with the growth of coupon sites, group buying specials, and social media marketing, which often put pressure on consumers to buy immediately instead of encouraging research. As a diligent patient, you should not only look at board certification, but also what specific procedures a doctor specializes in.

If you want to minimize risk and have a better chance of getting good results, board certification matters. Being certified in a specialty means being recognized as an expert in that specialty and why wouldn't you want to go to an expert? When it comes to your health and your body, you should never compromise based solely on convenience or price.

Bottom line: Look for a board-certified plastic surgeon that has a proven track record with the surgery you want.

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Finding a plastic surgeon?

Thank you for your excellent question. Finding the proper surgeon is critical to the success of your breast augmentation. It is best to look on the ASPS website to find a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast procedures. Board certified plastic surgeons have the appropriate training to perform the procedures you desire. It is also imperative to have the procedure performed in a properly accredited facility. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of your surgeons work. Hope this helps and good luck!

Understanding Plastic Surgery Credentials

Thank you for asking about your plastic surgeon.

Yours is an excellent question.
The surgeon you found on-line is an Ear,Nose, Throat surgeon trained in facial surgery.
His post-graduate training with The American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery is not part of a recognized American Board of Medical Specialties training program.
I strongly suggest that you find a doctor who is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery and a Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to find such a surgeon near you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS