Hip implants? (photo)

I am looking into getting the dips in my hips filled, I know this can be done through fat transfer, but I'm worried I might not have enough fat in my body to fill the dips. Would implants be an option? I am 5'6 116 pounds.

Hip augmentation options

Although I encourage every patient to workout and live a healthy lifestyle, curvaceous hips is most often the result of the right genetics fo the skeletal framework and fat deposits in the hip area. Take a look at some professional women bodybuilders and notice how they too have a depression in their outer buttock - because they are ultralean, not because they don't have well developed gluteus medius muscles.  In other words, unless you are genetically blessed with "hour-glass" hips, your only option for permanent hip augmentation may just be hip implants. Please read on for more surgical details:

Often buttock implants provide the added curve to the "hips" that most patients are looking for. If not then actual hip implants can be placed either at the same time or instead of buttock implants. Unlike buttock implants, which should always be placed under/within the gluteus maximus muscle, hip implants are placed under just the fascia because no significant muscle exists in this region. However, because they are much smaller and lighter, their likelihood of migration is relatively low. Unfortunately fat grafting to the hip area is frequently met with poor success because, again, there is no muscle there to place the fat into and thus is does not survive. Another thing is, if you are asked to purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight after surgery is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock/hip...so don't fall victim to this recommendation.  Glad to help. 

Hip contouring

Hip contouring can be performed beautifully by removing the fat from your love handles, flanks, and lateral thighs and transferring them to your hips. No need for an implant. Please see link below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Hip Implants

Without significant fat, then hip implants are needed to fill in the concavities over the trochanteric regions on the sides. These are ultrasoft solid implants that are placed through small incisions to change the indented appearance of the hips. Most of these implants have to be custom made since there are no standard or off-the-shelf hip implant designs.