Really want new implants but afraid of being unhappy with the results, in fact I've cancelled my appointment due to these fears.

Love my original implants but their 15years old now and not as perky as they used to be. Have 500cc silicone over the muscle and wonder if I can still go over the muscle or is it necessary to go under the muscle now? Just fearful of the difference in appearance! I keep hearing under the muscle is more natural looking but I like the fullness of my breasts on top. Also want to go a little bigger and have seen some nice 800cc silicones on here but were under the muscle. Was c cup prior to surgery.

After 15 years, new implants are a good idea.

The natural breast does change with age and the effects of gravity, and of course this affects breasts that have implants as well as those that are not augmented. The issues you’re describing sound like they could be improved with a breast lift alone, which wouldn’t require your implants to be replaced. At the same time, your implants are 15 years old, which means they’re at a higher risk of developing leaks compared to new implants. As for going up to 800 cc implants, that’s a large size difference and may not be possible with your frame. However, this is a question that can only be answered at an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Hi and thnaks for the question. It's very difficult to share your options without the benefit of pictures. Beacuse you have had the implants in a subglandular position for 15 years, the skin envelope has stretched. Therefore the pocket (that area which holds the implants) is very large. Should you chose to go behind the muscle, I am concerned that you will have too much excess tissue left over from your previous subglandular breast augmentation.

Leaving the new implants in the same position also offers challenges. The bigger the implant , the more compression of the breast tissue against the skin. I would venture to guess that if your implants were totally removed, that your breast tissue would be paper thin. This condition would only be accentuated by the placement of 800cc. If you do got through with it make sure that they are silicone. With your paper thin skin,  the degree of rippling or wrinkling owuld be unacceptable.

Good luck

Nothing to fear but fear itself...

and you have lived through having the older generation implants and can benefit with the newer technology.  See your surgeon and get your options.  Shaped implants on top of the muscle are working well and its really your choice as to where you want your implant positioned... not what the majority of people do.  So live your life and choose what is best for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

New implants

I am sure that your breasts have lost some volume and may sag more.What comes next depends on your exam.You may need a little lift but that is something to discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  My personal preference is to place implants back in a subglandular plane if there was no issues with capsular contracture.  As far as going bigger, you would need an in person consultation in order to make a size recommendation.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, despite your good description of your situation, online consultants will not be of specific enough help to be really meaningful. Sometimes, patients who have breast implants in the sub glandular position are better off  replacing their implants and re augmenting the breasts in the same space. At other times, depending on many factors best evaluated during in-person examination, patients are better off replacing their breast implants in the sub muscular position. I would suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons, who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you are looking for. Then, it will be important for you to communicate your goals carefully. In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures very helpful during this communication phase. You may also find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about the use of larger breast implants. Best wishes.

Larger implants will not solve your problem

Since your breasts are ptotic, the better procedure is a lift, adding volume will create additional descent.I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast LiftTM.Your breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with the same size implant.This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Really want new implants but afraid of being unhappy with the results, in fact I've cancelled my appointment due to these fear

You are conflicted!!! First you say just to exchange same for same in same location. Than you say increase to 800 cc's unders... You need to decide... 

Improving breast augmentation

Because your implants are not perky does not mean that they need to be replaced. It sounds like you may just need a breast lift. Physical exam will determine if you implants need to be replaced. If they do need to be replaced placing them beneath the  muscle produces a very nice natural, soft, and  full breast shape.