What is wrong with my breasts? (Photo)

I'm 21 years old. I'm a C-cup. Areolas are large/puffy. Areolas face down & away from the line of symmetry. The space between my breasts is 1&3/4in. Stretch marks on "upper breast" portion are from puberty&breast development NOT from weight loss or gain post-puberty. The areas where the stretch marks are located feel as if there's little to no breast tissue and the majority of the weight of my breast is around the areola or below the areola. They don't look like normal breasts. What's wrong?

Tuberous Breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a mild form of tuberous breasts, meaning the bottom of your breast is not as developed as the top. The shape of your breast can be improved significantly by sub-muscular implants. The nipple areolar complex can be lifted and made smaller with a periareolar incision and lift. You could get by without the lift if you are willing to accept your nipple position and size - they won't be higher without a lift, but they will appear more centered when the bottom of the breast is filled out and expanded with an implant. 

Nothing is wrong with your breasts.

Thank you for your question and photos. First, please know that there is nothing "wrong" with your breasts, They are perfectly normal. That being said, you may not be pleased with their appearance and for a woman your age, you have a greater degree of "ptosis" or sagging (drooping) than you might wish. The areolar diameter is slightly widened, but it is completely normal to see some "puffiness" below the nipple/areola. 

A board certified plastic surgeon can carefully assess you with a complete history and physical examination, wherein the options for breast enhancement can be reviewed in detail. If you desire a more attractive shape with narrower areolae and fuller upper pole with less sagging, the solution is a mastopexy or breast lift. This can often be accomplished with a minimal "lollipop" scar that allows for both narrowing and raising the areola, while tightening the lower pole and thus achieving a greater degree of upper breast roundness and fullness, a kind of internal bra effect. 

If you know for a fact that you would like to be larger, then a small implant can be inserted at the time of your breast lift. 

There are many girls and women your age, younger, or older that have undergone more extensive surgery when they undergo a breast reduction for breasts that are both too large and droopy. Please know that your breasts are entirely normal, even though you might feel they can be enhanced aesthetically. For that, you have many excellent board certified plastic surgeons whose advice you can seek. 

Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Variant of constricted breast

You do have some degree of sagging of your breasts with puffiness of the areola due to herniation of the breast tissue into the nipple and areola.  This can be a variation of a tubular breast.  Treatment would consist of a breast lift with the possible use a a breast implant.  

Variation of a tubular or constricted breast.

You have a variation of what is referred to as a constricted breast. This is not an abnormality just a type of breast architecture. If you dislike the shape there are procedures to change them but make certain you understand the consequences.The so-called stretch marks appear to be extremely subtle emerging at the time of breast development.

Breast augmentation to correct malformed breasts?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Your breasts have a pretty shape but sit a little low on your chest.
  • This is a true variant of normal.
  • Many women get stretch marks from pubertal growth - this also is normal.
  • The normal breast shape is like yours - more breast tissue below than above the nipple.
  • But in the US, the upper fullness is the preferred look - and often a reason for implants.
  • There may be a minimal element of 'tuberous' breasts given the slightly puffy nipples.
  • If you aren't happy with the shape and position - have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to learn more.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

What's wrong with my breasts?

First of all, nothing is "wrong" with your breasts. There are many variations of what would be considered normal breast anatomy. The ideal nipple position is generally at the level of the inframammary crease, so your nipple position is a little bit low.  This is called ptosis.  Your areolas are larger than average as well   Both of these conditions can be corrected by a plastic surgeon if you desire. The stretch marks are difficult to manage, however laser treatments can sometimes improve their appearance.  Lastly, your fibroadenoma scar needs to be carefully considered by your surgeon if you choose to have a breast lift (mastopexy).  Your incision was made in an area above the areola that provides much of the blood flow to your nipple with many breast lift techniques.  Please make sure to seek a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon if you desire correction of these issues.  Best wishes to you!.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

What is wrong with my breasts?

Thank you for your question and photographs. First, let me say that it there is nothing wrong with your breasts. Breasts have a vast array of sizes and shapes that are within the normal limits. You do have slight sagging of your breasts, and you may have a mild variance of "tuberous" breasts. This results in your large aerolar and the "puffiness" that you mentioned regarding your areola. Also, your nipple is below your inframammary crease, which demonstrates some ptosis (sagging).

You should discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon with the various options, limitations, and expectations following surgery. Generally, an uplift, called a mastopexy, is indicated when the nipple is below the IM crease. This procedure would give you a rounder shape to your breasts and reduce the sagging. Ask your surgeon for pre- and postoperative photos of these procedures.

If you wish to be larger, a small implant can be inserted at the same time as the mastopexy. This surgery can be very gratifying, but it does leave a scar around the areolar and a vertical scar between the areolar and the IM
crease (called a lollipop mastopexy). There should never be "stitch" marks in these scars.

Best of luck to you.

My breasts, what is wrong here?

Hi amsc235

I would respectfully disagree- your breasts do look normal, and there is nothing per se "wrong" with them.

I think it would be more helpful and instructive to point out features that you may not like.

You have asymmetry R larger and lower than the left.  The right nipple is lower than L.  You have descent of breast tissue (pseudoptosis) resulting in loss of fullness in the upper pole area, and this is asymmetrical as well.  You also have descent of the nipples below the inframammary fold (where the underwire would go).  The nipples and areolas appear to have a constrictive band and possibly a mild form of tuberous breast.

If you seek cosmetic improvement, I think that you would do well with a breast lift, but you would do well with an implant as well.

On the other hand, this is cosmetic only, and there isn't anything "wrong" with your breasts.

All the best.

Sek

Breast shape

Although you may not like the shape of your breasts, there is nothing wrong. If you want a round breast, with the nipple higher, than that can be accomplished by performing a mastopexy, or breast lift. It will leave your breasts the same size they are now, just perkier and rounder.
Having said that, your breasts are fine, and there is no need to do anything.

Greg Sexton, M.D.
Columbia, S.C.

Breasts

My impression is that your breasts are a bit long and could be lifted on your chest. The areola could be reduced as well. Most breasts are asymmetric by nature but a mastopexy could provide more symmetry. This is an outpatient procedure with a very short recovery period.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon