Do most surgeons perform liposuction if they feel necessary once the surgery is underway?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Very interesting question. Thank you. Generally speaking, I would not perform a procedure such as a liposuction that was not planned very well before the surgery began unless it was discussed prior to the procedure

Liposuction - does a surgeon do it at surgery even if not planned?

• Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

Generally a surgeon will plan your surgery to avoid surprises.
  • If a surgeon felt you that despite this, your result will be poor without a bit of liposuction, one might do it
  • Strictly speaking, it can be considered assault to do surgery that is not agreed to, so many surgeons will not do this, even if it becomes clear your result will suffer.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction

Choosing to perform liposuction is done before surgery. I am not sure what you are asking exactly.....

Liposuction Consulting

This should be discussed with your surgeon prior to treatment. If you are concerned about needing liposuction, I suggest discussing this with your physician in the consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction during surgery

When I evaluate the patient in consultation I make a surgical plan with the client. So, if you think you may need liposuction then plan for that with your physician. you will need to know what to expect during and after the procedure as well as what it costs. If you are talking in retrospect then of course discuss with your surgeon if you have any questions. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Depending on the procedure most surgeons will already know whether or not to anticipate the use of liposuction prior to a surgery's commencement.  If the surgeon feels that your results can be improved with liposuction they can perform it once underway. Hope this helps.