Nose tip grafting without removing cartilage from the tip?

Is it possible to get a small graft added to the tip of my nose without removing anything else from the nose? If something has to be removed, can it be just a little bit? I actually quite like the way my nose looks as a whole (the bridge is straight and not wide at all), it's just the tip and columella are droopy and I would like a graft inserted to make them more aligned with the rest of the nose. In doing so, I would prefer not to have much taken away from the other parts of my nose.

Rhinoplasty for nasal tip grafting without moving cartilage tip

It is very difficult to make a comment on a specific surgical procedure without an in-person examination or a full set of facial pictures. Some patients require suture techniques, conservative cartilage removal and cartilage grafting techniques either separately or performed together.

Rhinoplasty

I think that you need to be seen in person o be properly evaluated.  Then a plan can be formulated to hopefully achieve your goals.

Can Tip Grafting be Done Without Removing Tip Cartilage

Perhaps! Over the past 30+ years I've never done 2 noses exactly the same. Depending on your needs cartilage grafts can be added without removing any cartilage from the tip. I have done tip surgery without removing anything but changing cartilage shape to maintain tip support in patients with weak cartilages.

Yes, maybe.

Thank you for your question. Without a physical examination or photographs it is not possible to address your concerns specifically. 

Please consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon whose aesthetics align with those of your own after reviewing their before and after galley.

Be open to more than one consultation if you are not confident after your first. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Greetings

Thank you for your question, 

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. You are describing a tip refining rhinoplasty, which is certainly possible in the right patient.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD