What do you think I need done to my nose?

I recently went to a consultation about my nose and the doctor told me that all I needed was my small dorsal hump removed and no tip work at all. I like the way my nose looks from the front. I think if I only get the small hump removed that my nose will still be large. I was also wondering if it would be possible to make a small feminine swoop without doing any tip work?

Rhinoplasty candidate

A full set of facial photographs are required to make any determination about a surgical procedure on the nose. The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage and must be shaved down surgically in order to remove it. Once the dorsal hump has been shaved down, osteotomies will be required to be placed in the nasal bones to narrow them and keep the bridge line in proportion. In some cases, no tip surgery is  needed, but it really depends upon what the nasal tip cartilages look like.  For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below 

Rhinoplasty

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 

I recommend you to send our photos to us to tell you what kind of procedure you need.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Seek a second opinion

Without photos it is very difficult to comment. My only recommendation to you would be to get a second opinion from another rhinoplasty surgeon to see if they have a similar recommendation. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty choices

You did not provide any pictures. It is possible to take down the dorsum (bridge) without affecting the tip.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

You have asked good questions to discuss at the time of your consultation.  Without seeing the appearance of your nose, it is difficult to give you an accurate answer.  (Apparently other surgeons have seen your photos, but they did not show up on my screen view.) In general there are a number of patients that can have changes to the overall shape  and size of the nose without doing much to the tip.  Good luck.

John M. Weeter, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  You could also decrease the overall size of your nose with several other maneuvers if you want.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and pictures.  If you don't like the outside appearance of your nose the first place to start is to consult with an experienced Board Certified rhinoplasty surgery who can explore the possibilities with you. Best of luck. 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

If the appearance of your nose concerns you, it can be improved with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how to do it based on limited two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon(otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I think that taking down the dorsum and refining some aspects of your tip will likely be necessary.  Best of luck.

Greetings

Thank you for your question. There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon