IPL laser splotch. Will this go away? (Photo)

I'm 54 years old and had my second IPL laser treatment four days ago. The first one definitely took away a lot of the broken capillaries on my face. The second one left a splotch right in the center of my cheek that wasn't there before -- pink initially -- now kind of like a light a brownish melasma area. It also looks a tad smooth and devoid of pores like a very slight burn would before the skin peels. It does not feel dry at all or like it's going to flake however. Will this go away?

Splotch after IPL

Thank you for your question deenerbug. IPL treatments work well for most pigment and redness. Sometimes pigment is noticed after a treatment which was not noticed before. This is actually common because often times one thing concerns patients more than others and when the first thing is improved, other things become more noticeable. Pigment that is deep in the skin can be more difficult to treat. Sometimes fractional lasers are used for this. Skin care products containing hydroquinone also can help. In the case of melasma continued treatments are recommended as melasma is a condition we control not cure. Please speak with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

IPL for facial veins

It may take another week to see the result from your treatment.  Keep your skin hydrated and use gentle products. Sun protection is extremely important to prevent pigmentation.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

IPL and Hyperpigmentation - Combination approach with Fraxel and/or microneedling/PRP

I suggest you wait 1-2 weeks before determining if there is any pigmentation or burn.  This may be a more aggressive treatment.  Post operative skin care is essential at this time.  Best, Dr. Emer.