I have serious seroma after Tummy Tuck.Drain was in for more than 6 wks. Is there a good doctor who can treat my seromas?(photo)

My stomach is swollen and my hips are uneven after 3mnths. 

To find local doctors in your area, please click here.

#Tummytuck #plasticsurgery #abdominoplasty

Hello queenzlegend, Thank you so much for your excellent question!  Without the benefit of an in person exam it's impossible to say for sure. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. If you seek out a second opinion look for the following:  *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol   *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol with a triangle.  Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.  My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS  Care Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Seroma

If the seroma does not go away then sometimes a radiologist might need to treat it.  If it does not go away , you may need surgery to clear the psudeobursa.

Seroma

your surgeon is more than capable of treating a seroma assuming he is a board certified plastic surgeon.  talk to your surgeon. 

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your seroma issues after your tummy tuck.  If your seroma persists despite conservative measures - drain placement, compression garments, and in-office aspirations, a more aggressive surgical means of correction may be required.  This would involve reopening your tummy tuck incision to identify the seroma to remove it and its surrounding tissue.  Placement of additional sutures to help seal the skin to your muscles will help reduce the chance of recurrence.  Hope this helps.

Seroma After Tummy Tuck

At this point, you probably have a "pseudobursa", which is a space where fluid will continue to collect and likely will not go away without surgery to remove it.  Yes, there are good doctors who can treat that.  I recommend contacting your surgeon first to talk about the options.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and seroma

Generally  the best person to take care of your is your original surgeon he or she is familiar with what has been done and how you've been recovering postoperatively.  Some people have tried to place fluids within the drain that will help the  cavity close.  There does come a point in time if the seroma persist for too long that it would require additional surgery 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Chronic seroma

Unfortunately, with long-standing's seromas such as you describe, a surgical approach may be necessary to fix it. At this point in time, the cavity producing the fluid is well-formed and will not collapse on its own. A secondary procedure where this cavity is re-excised and then sutures are placed to obliterate the dead space seems to work well in my hands. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource for information about this approach. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS