Will I heal like this? (photos)

I had shoulder surgery and my scar raised up if I had a tummy tuck or mommy makeover would the scar be raised like this...or is there something to help..

DrDerby

Thank you for your question and photos. You need to discuss this directly with your surgeon, it is important to know that every area of the body scars and heals differently. Best of luck 

Scarring

Scars heal differently on different parts of the body.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  There are different options to help avoid poor scarring.  Our practice has had success using Embrace products to improve the appearance of scars.  

Camille Cash, MD

Managing Scars after a Mommy Makeover

#Healing will continue for 2-3 months following the procedure(s) as the #scars will be evolving. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery.

Predicting healing

Thank you for asking about your healing.

• The shoulder always heals with thick scars because the skin in the area is thick and moves a lot.
  • The tummy tuck scars tend to be flat - but if they thicken they can be treated with silicone scar strips and steroid injections as needed.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Will i heal like this?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately you had development of a hypertrophic scar following your shoulder surgery, and this is not uncommon as the shoulder has a trend towards poor incisional healing.  This does not mean that your tummy tuck or MM incisions would heal similarly but it is a risk that should be discussed. There are techniques that can be used during your recovery to minimize risk of development - silicone scar creams, scar massage, steroid injections - that your surgeon can discuss with you. Hope this helps.