Do you think I'd be able to get my health insurance to cover my Labiaplasty?

My labia minora are extremely long and uneven. And are continuing to grow.They cause constant discomfort and during the summer months tend to swell due to chaffing. Sex is very uncomfortable. I feel like they're holding me back from being a normal 19 year old by damaging my confidence. However i care more about the medical reasons for getting this done than the cosmetic. I need this procedure done.

Labiaplasty insurance coverage

In general, labiaplasty is not covered by insurance as most insurance companies consider it to be cosmetic in nature.  However, we have been successful in getting coverage for some women that have functional problems that have been documented by their ObGyn. However, there is no guarantee it will get pre certified. No matter if it gets covered by insurance or is an out of pocket cost, make sure to see a qualified provider who performs this surgery routinely. 

Labioplasty not covered by insurance

Thank you for your inquiry. I am happy to answer any questions you may have. 

Unfortunately most insurances do not cover the costs of Labioplasty surgery because they deem it to be elective. 

Laser Reduction Labiaplasty of the Labia Minora with Reduction of Excess Prepuce (LRL) is the second most common Female Genital Cosmetic Surgery procedure. LRL is a popular procedure for women wishing to reduce the appearance of the large or protruding labia minora.

I recommend a consultation in order to receive detailed information as well as a quote. 

Labiaplasty and Insurance Coverage

Insurance companies generally do not cover labiaplasty procedures as a routine.  In recent years, the companies have also generally been more frugal in spending money on patients and procedures, which does add some burden to patients.  Having said that, the labiaplasty operation is not generally as costly as other plastic surgery procedures and there can be ways and options that could reduce cost for some patients.  I would not let the insurance issue dissuade you from a consultation, especially when you seem highly motivated to have the procedure.  I believe that a board-certified plastic surgeon with special interest and focus in labiaplasty is the best option.

Saul R. Berger, MD

Insurance and labia

Dear Princees:

I could not agree with Dr Goodman more.  Choose a surgeon based on skill, integrity, results and not by a untrained surgeon who is committing fraud to cover a labiaplasty.

John R Miklos MD

Insurance coverage for labiaplasty

Unfortunately insurance companies will not cover labiaplasty because there is no functional deficit from having enlarged labia minora. Although there are significant benefits to your comfort and well being from this surgery, the insurance companies will not cover it in my experience. I would seek a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this surgery. Best of Luck 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like you're a great candidate

Surgeons aren't the ones who decide whether or not a procedure will be covered by insurance. The companies decide. I don't take insurance, but for my labiaplasty patients, I write a letter to the insurance companies letting them know what was required and why. Most of the time they ignore the letter and don't cover the procedure.
If you find an inexperienced surgeon or GYN who doesn't specialize in labiaplasty, they may try to use a different "code" with the insurance companies to get your procedure covered. These doctors aren't as good at the surgery, so avoid them. Find a specialist.

The only doctors accepting "insurance" for Labiaplasty are untrained-- this is where the "botches" come from!

No, if you have your LP done by a trained plastic surgeon or cosmetic gynecologist, insurance won't cover it. If you have it performed by a local "general Ob/Gyn," sometimes they will try & get it covered. THIS IS WHO IS DOING ALL THE "BOTCHED LABIAPLASTIES" you see on this site. BEWARE the doc who tells you "...we can do it under Insurance! See the video below. These are your sensitive "lady parts," for heaven's sake! Would you trust your sports car repair to a mechanic who has only worked on old model pickups? The first time is the only chance you have to really "get it right." Better no surgery than chance a novice. Better to "save up" and see if an experienced surgeon will give you a discount...

Regards,

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

No - insurance doesn't cover cosmetic labiaplasty

Hello Princess,

I have performed thousands of Labiaplasty procedures and have yet to meet a 19 year old woman who isn't interested in the cosmetic appearance of her vulva. Many say the same things that you are describing, but at the end of the day you do not want a botched Labiaplasty. Simply look through this site and see the hundreds of botched Labiaplasty Before and After photos posted. I'm certain that their surgeons tried their best by simply reducing labia, a procedure they must have thought was "easy", to make their patients more comfortable.

You are describing very complex labia which indicates to me that you need to be very careful in identifying the best surgeon for your procedure. You only get one chance to achieve the best possible result.

Please see link below for additional information on identifying the best surgeon for you and to see hundreds of B&A photos. There are financing options available.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

A snowball's chance in hell to get labiaplasty covered by insurance

I've never had success getting labiaplasty covered by insurance and neither have any other surgeons that I know except for those who create false stories about what's being done and why it's being done. I would be wary about trusting someone with those personality traits with your body.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your labia minora issues.  Unfortunately insurance companies deem labiaplasty procedures to not be "medically necessary" and will not cover the costs.  If you are having this many issues with your labia it would be best to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your treatment options.  Best wishes.